View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Late inclusion seminar 

It has been a while since I saw Mr. Henries speak on inclusion but I would like to take some time to tell you about it. I had heard a lot about Mr. Henries from many people and heard that he was a great teacher and very passionate about special education. In this seminar he started out by focusing on what special educators can do to help with the inclusion process. This section really did not grab my attention but when he started to talk about what the "regular" teacher could do to help the process my interest was sparked. He said that for us regular teachers the thing we need to do so that we can be great inclusion teachers is TEACH. Plain and simple. We do not need to teach "special" students as special but as regular students. I had never really thought of it that way before. I have been in inclusion classes before where you could spot "that kid" out in a heart beat, but if we learn to be ourselves when we teach then nothing can hinder any student. Another interesting idea he said is to have a planning period with your inclusion teacher to be on the same page. Also for an inclusion class to succeed then both teachers have to teach not just one. That has been my experience with inclusion classes and it has not been a good one. Finally Mr. Henries said that we should all be open to inclusion classes because these are the classes of the future, and after this seminar I am pumped about being in an inclusion class.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]