View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Diana Beasley Star Power Seminar 

On October 5th I attended Diana Beasley's seminar on Star Power, Classroom Management in Highschool. She was such an ethusiastic speaker. You could tell that she was very passionate about being a teacher, as well as, telling others about it. She taught for 25 years "it was the best job and the hardest job" is what she said. She graciously shared with us some of her secrets to being an affective teacher.

She said if you make students feel important enough than they will fix their own attendance issues. As a good teacher we should make sure our students play a vital role in our classes and know the importance of that role. She also told us that it is never going to be about us it will always be about the student. In fact "student learning is our focus". It has to be for us to truly reach our students. She gave us various quotes about being a inspirer, teacher, everyday.

She explained the importance of being a star teacher and what that represents to your students. Every classroom needs a star, a teacher. I had never thought about it this way, but it is very true. Students are going to depend on "Stars" to light the way and guide them in the right direction. This will never be an easy role for me, but I am very glad that Diana suggested several ways to be a wonderful "star".

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:44 pm

I also attended Diana Beasley's seminar on October, 5. I really liked how Ms. Beasley kept emphasizing the importance of a student-centered classroom. It is vital that I make my classroom a safe place for students where learning is exciting. A child needs to feel that they are an imperative part of the classroom. Teachers have to be selfless because in reality when I teach it is never about me or my accomplishments, it is all about student learning. It might not always be my fault that students struggle but it will be my problem.

Ms. Beasley provided us with the “STARâ€

Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:14 pm

I went to Diana Beasley's presentation on "Star Power" as well. Like Sarah and Kylie Beth, I really enjoyed her presentation and loved the enthusiasm with which she spoke about teaching-- it was definitely obvious that Mrs. Beasley is great at her profession.

There were a lot of helpful strategies that she shared in regards to being a successful teacher. The idea of being a "star" has already been mentioned... comparing a teacher to a star is an excellent analogy, for it is the teacher's responsibility to guide the students and promote an environment in which students themselves can shine as well. I really liked how she emphasized the importance that, while it is good to better oneself and find out what teaching strategies work best for you, teaching is ultimately a profession that is about the students. It is important that teachers be stars themselves, but it is more important that they create an environment in which the students can be stars as well. She pointed out that successful teachers foster a safe environment in which students can learn and succeed.

One thing I really took away from her presentation was the emphasis she put on knowing yourself as a teacher. If you know yourself-- your attributes, strengths, weaknesses, etc.-- then you can better evaluate, reflect, and succeed as a teacher. After you analyze your own self, begin to look to the students and figure out how they learn-- allow them to show you. Provide various types of opportunities for assignments, so that each student's abilities can show.

Balance plays a big role in the classroom as well. You want to be approachable, but not someone the students can walk all over. A quote from Mrs. Beasley's handout states the following reminder: "they need you to be an adult, not their friend...you need an iron fist and a smile to balance kindness/humor and discipline/consistency... know your subject, and know your children."

Overall, I really enjoyed Diana Beasley's presentation and took away a lot of valuable hints and information.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:04 pm

On October 5th, I attended a Classroom Management Seminar by Diana Beasley. There was one topic that she discussed that we have touched on in class quite a bit, and that would be making all students feel comfortable in your classroom environment. She made the comment that if you want to be a great teacher you have to treat each student equal. Diana Beasley said that when she used to teach, if she had a student that missed class a lot, she would let them know that class was not the same without them and something was missing. After she did that, the student would not miss anymore unless they were deathly sick. Ms. Beasley said that as great teachers we have to have a "student centered classroom". One thing that goes along with that is knowing yourself. She described how as teachers we have to know our attributes and weaknesses, be able to reflect and evaluate our actions, and be courageous. The topics we discussed in this seminar allowed me to connect it to thoughts that I have had in class.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]