View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Love and Logic Seminar 

I know it has been a couple of weeks, but I was able to go to the Love and Logic Seminar on Thursday, October 1, and found it quite eye opening. First of all, there are several different methods of classroom management, or ways to discipline children. Love and Logic is one of them that Angie Grimes, head of the Western Youth Network, practices and teaches all of her staff to practice with the children they work with.

The Love and Logic philosophy was founded by Jim Fay and Foster W. Cline and was built based on a combined total of over 75 years experience in working with children and raising children. It is a technique that, upon being taught, seems to be a no-brainer, but helps teachers as well as parents have less stress and "more fun" while raising their children. It is a technique which allows the adults to have more control over the situation than children and helps them keep control. It is considered to be extremely easy to learn and very simple and practical to carry out and actually helps reduce the stress level of those who use it.

I had a little foreknowledge of this technique before going to this seminar because I tutored for WYN last year, but I wanted to learn a little more in depth about how it worked entirely. After the seminar had finished, although I like the ideas they use, I was extremely frustrated. One of the key points of Love and Logic is to avoid conflicts with students. If a student comes up to you and says something like "Man...this is stupid!" Love and Logic says that you should respond with something such as "I'm sorry" or "I know" and continue using that same statement until the student realizes they are not going to get anywhere. While I realize that this is an effective way to discipline students, I know all to well how it feels to have something similar to this used on you as a student and I cannot stand it. Another one of the key points is to find a key phrase to use when a student has gotten themselves into trouble or forgotten their homework or does something that is going to result in negative consequences. This phrase can be something like "Ohhh....bummer," or "ahhh, man!" For example, if a student disrupts your class, instead of immediately writing them up or bestowing a punishment on them right away you may say "ohhh man, what a bummer," to make them realize that a consequence is coming, that they should have not done whatever it is they have done. Again, I'm not the biggest fan of this technique for the simple fact that it feels as though a teacher is talking down to a student or a parent to their child. The focus on giving students choices and recovery (meaning not immediately getting the worst offense) are parts of this theory I do agree with, however.

Overall, I feel that this seminar was extremely informative and gave me some ideas that I would like to use within my classroom. Others, on the other hand leave me a bit uneasy because of the emphasis that is placed on using statements such as "ohhh man, what a bummer," or avoiding conflict by making a child realize they are going to get nowhere. I know that these are great classroom discipline ideas but I just have a hard time implementing them for the simple fact that I do not want to step on anybody's toes, and I know all to well how it feels to have a similar technique used on you. While it saves the adult from stress and frustration, it puts the stress and frustration on the student and sometimes I feel like that it a little bit too much for a student to handle.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]