View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Body image 

Should girls wear shoes like those pictured in this post?
Poll ended at Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:55 pm
Yes 79%  79%  [ 11 ]
No 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 14

Body image 

Those shoes look incredibly uncomfortable!

Though I am 5'10" and generally find high heels, especially stilettos, to be pointless, I still own at least four pairs. Why? Because society dictates that women wear high heels. we are expected to wear them for job interviews, weddings, dances, formal occasions; for anything that would require something more than tennis shoes. I know some girls who even wear them on a daily basis to school. My sister wore high heels, occasionally even stilettos, to classes very frequently in high school.

I think that some women find the need to wear shoes like this because of some notion that taller is better. I have many friends who are only 5'1" and they own more pairs of high heels and platforms than I do shoes in general. The idea that the heels elongates and strengthens the legs while lifting the tush is a nice one that I think most people can appreciate and is, in my opinion, the biggest appeal of the shoes.

I agree with Tim, that girls can wear them if they want or not. It's up to you. As for me, I would really rather not have to wear them. I don't understand why it has been decided that this is how women must dress to be considered sexy. I find nothing sexy about throbbing, blistered feet.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:18 pm

Ok so as pointed out before this question is obviously flawed. I think a better way to ask this question would be Should it be socially acceptable for girls to wear shoes like this? or Is it okay for young girls to wear shoes like this?

I personally wouldn't wear these shoes, and don't normally wear heels due to the fact that I am already 5'9, and heels this tall would make me so ridiculously tall. I choose to not wear things like this but if one day my daughter came up to me and asked me if it was ok to wear them I would allow her, given that she was what I felt was an acceptable age to wear them. I will rather teach her about how to express herself and what society thinks about things like this, allowing her to make the ultimate choice.

I think that in society heels have always been a part of being a woman. Maybe not heals like this, but the right pair can make women feel confident and empowered. It can also create very negative illusions about that women. These particular red ones are rather flashy, but who am I to judge what another women could or should not wear.

I will admit though that if I were to see a woman wearing these there would probably be some very stereotypical thoughts going through my mind. While at the same time I have a friend who have a black pair exactly like that and she is very far from any of the thoughts I could have.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:06 pm

I have been mulling over this post for most of the weekend, just trying to think of what to say. To be quite honest, I just don't know what I think about those shoes, or about about her motivation to wear them, or about the underlying sociatile issues. On top of that, I really just don't know what I think about most of the things we talk about in this class.

But I do know that:
-I would never have had a second thought about those shoes on her had this not been our forum topic.
-I am going to laugh really hard if when we get into class on Tuesday, Gayle puts that picture back up on the screen as surprises us with the fact that it is in fact a man wearing those heels and not a woman.

That would be great.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:16 am

I tend to agree with Tim and Rachel on this one, as well. I feel that if a girl feels that these hills help her to express her personality, then she should absolutely without a doubt wear them. Just as Tim said, though, this is an "idealist" statement. In all reality, I feel like many times there are subconscious thoughts behind wearing something like these shoes or something else a girl may choose to wear. We are subjected to the media every single day of our lives, so to say that we wear something or choose something simply because it expresses our individuality is a bit of a lie, whether we realize it or not. Usually girls will choose an item of clothing based on whether or not it is their style and then whether or not it looks good on them. I'm not trying to avoid the question, I am just stating what generally does happen. So, whether or not a girl should be able to wear these hills is entirely up to them, if they are excited about wearing them and they express their individuality, then absolutely yes. There is no way a girl would pick these up off of the shelf however, unless she thought they were going to improve her self image in some way.
feel like the real issue lies in how people are going to perceive her for wearing these heels; however. I feel like some people are going to immediately jump to the conclusion that she wears them specifically to look good while others will understand that it fits her personality, expresses her individuality. That however, is another debate in and of itself.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:19 am

I think that if a girl chooses to wear shoes such as the ones posted, then that is her own individual choice, even if she is chosing to wear them for attention- it's still her choice. Unfortunately, we are all judgemental in a way. It is human nature, it's how we behave (some much more so than others- but everyone in some degree, even if it is minuscule). I hate to say it, but if the girl chooses to wear the shoes out, then she has to be prepared for remarks from those who think it's "hot" and those who think she is "slutty". I have a friend who wore something quite revealing on halloween and then got extremely upset when she heard comments were said about her outfit. But I told her that if she was going to dress like that then she HAS to be prepared to hear things like that (not that it's right, it's just the way it is), or simply just don't wear it.

The video clips were very much an eye opener for me. I had no idea of some of the statistics that were mentioned. Such as 80% of 4th graders being on diets.... I didn't think that 80% of 22 year olds would be on diets-let alone 4th graders. It's completely ridiculous. Their bodies haven't even finished developing- and by dieting they are causing growth stunts and other damages. I definitely believe that media has a lot to do with that women think about their bodies AND how men view women and their bodies. I am a smoker and I'd say that a good 60% of my friends are smokers (whether they are just "I smoke when I drink" people or not- they are still smokers). I know several women and men (yep, men) who do not want to quit because they fear gaining weight. I think that is terrible, this FEAR of being "fat".

As the 3rd clip mentions, this FEAR roots at a young age. Girls are not being taught everything they can be. Through media, and other outlets- but media in most cases, they learn how girls are supposed to look.

I have thought about this and how it affects the classroom. I think the use of girl's club after school could be extremely helpful (ofcourse, have a boys club too). This club (however you name it) can cover issues such as body image and media. You can discuss what it means to be "Healthy" and what it means to be sick. So many girls don't know the difference.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:59 am

I think that girls should be allowed to wear what they would like to as far as shoes go. I think that it may not be a good idea to wear such shoes, because, even though I've never worn high heels, It looks like it'a rather painful and probably not healthy if these are worn regularly. Maybe that's a little bit too practical of a way to look at it...

In general if guys are allowed to act as "manly man" as they like, girls should also be allowed the same freedom to be as "girly girl" as they like. The opposite should be allowed as well. Society has WAY too much control over what a boy/girl should look, act, dress like. We're told that baby boys must be clothed in blue and that baby girls must be dressed in pink... it's a strange thing if you step back and look at it closely.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:40 pm

The shoes in the picture look extremely uncomfortable. That is my personal opinion on just viewing them. The question of whether girls should wear them or not is a completely different matter. While I would choose not to wear those shoes, or any high heels, I can understand how some girls would want to wear them for a variety of reasons. This could include to be taller or because the girl likes the way the shoes look. The most important thing when deciding what clothes to wear is not what the media tells you to buy or what your friends tell you to buy. The most important thing is what you want and what you like to wear. If the media is telling you to wear something but you do not like it and it makes you uncomfortable then why would you wear that when you could simply wear flip flops and be comfortable and like the way you look. The main focus of what women or men wear should not be what will people think of this, but it should be do I like this, does this make me happy.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2