View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Milk 

Before this post and before the film, did you know who Harvey Milk was and what he did?
No 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Yes 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 3

Milk 

I have been attending the Queer Film Series on Tuesdays at 7:30 pm in Library room 114. The first film we viewed was Milk. This movie details the life of Harvey Milk from his 40th birthday to his untimely death. Harvey leaves his home and his closet and travels to San Francisco with his lover. Harvey becomes a gay activist and decides that he can make more of an effective impact in office- so he runs for a city seat- loses, and then runs for a state seat and loses again. He later becomes the first openly homosexual person to be elected to office when he wins the San Francisco supervisor seat in 1977. He did tremendous things for the LGBT community. He made it okay to be brave. He made Castro a safe place for those to come out of the closet. His theory was that is everyone who was gay just came out of the closet together they would be unstoppable. He inspired hope across America.

"I want 1000 to rise. If I am assassinated, let the bullet in my brain destroy every closet door. I want the movement to continue beyond me. I want this to go beyond gays, into Asians, and Blacks, and Seniors, all the "Us-es" out there, all of "Us"."

Harvey Milk was killed by another politican, Dan White.

This is an AMAZING film and I definitely recommend it to everyone. It was touching, educational, and completely inspirational.
Milk shows that no matter where you come from, you can accomplish anything you set your mind to.
I think it is important for everyone to view this film- gay, straight, for equality, against equalitiy. It is important to see the horror that the gay community had to face, just because of who they are.

Okay, now. Go see it! :)

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]