View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Trans 101 

This afternoon I attended the lunch hour discussion about transgender. I found it to be very interesting to learn about transgender from a student. I learned that if you're unsure of one’s' gender identity who should refer to them as 'they." Or ask them which pronoun they prefer. Much of our discussion was about housing options and restrooms. It was nice to learn how sensitive the university is about ones' gender identity. They said it is especially hard for teachers who are transgendered to be in the classroom, especially because there are currently no laws that protect them in the work place. It's hard to believe that someone who is homosexual or transgendered can be fired. I thought our society was more progressive than that. I guess I thought that it was more progressive because of all of the movements that have been going on in our society. He said that there are many cultures in the world who are extremely accepting of transgendered individuals, and we as Americans feel we're so progressive, but in reality there are many 3rd world counties who are more progressive when it comes to transgendered individuals. I really enjoyed this discussion, it helped me to have a better understanding, and therefore I will be able to better serve this population in my classroom.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:42 pm

I also attended the lunch & learn discussion. I thought the discussion was very interesting and full of helpful information. I especially liked the hand out they had with more common vocabulary words. It also mentioned what Courtney discussed about pronouns. Also, as she mentioned, there are countries that are thought to be less developed and progressive than ours that allow for choices in gender identification. This was very surprising to me.
I really enjoyed the discussion though I was disappointed that the panel was not as large as the last discussion that I attended. There was only one F-to-M person present to discuss issues they had faced. It was still an eye-opening experience. I am glad that I attended this discussion and the one a month ago.

Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]