View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 "Outrage" 

As I have mentioned before, the Queer Film Series is occurring on campus on Tuesdays at 7:30 in Library room 114. Outrage was shown and it was mind boggling. This documentary, written and directed by Kirby Dick, traces the literal outing of politicians who continuously vote against gay rights, who have a secret homosexual lives. A couple of the politicians mentioned in the film are Idaho Senator Larry Craig, Florida Governor Charlie Crist, and Virginia Representative Ed Schrock.
This film focuses on the media’s hesitation to cover this issue. They don’t seem to have a problem with covering scandalous affairs with heterosexual politicians. What is up with the homophobia in the media?
A major issue that was focused on during the group discussion after the film was the morality of outing. Is it okay to pull someone out of the closet that does not wish to be? I feel like everyone has a right to privacy. But I feel like you lose that right when you hurt your community- even if it is your secret community. These politicians voted against equal rights, gay marriage, HIV/AIDS testing funding, and the acknowledgement of hate crimes. Sometimes when a person is trying so hard to hide who they are- they feel as though they must be the polar opposite.
I feel like if everyone just came out of the closet, then the opportunity for equal rights would be much more feasible. I really enjoyed this film and learned a lot about gay right within our nation.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]