View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 What does the Confederate Flag mean to you? 

I attended the lunch and learn discussion yesterday on the confederate flag. The discussion was more of a lecture but the professor who led it was very knowledgeable and engaging. To me, the flag represents hatred, bigotry, red necks, nascar, racism etc. I had hoped that going to this discussion would help me to open my eyes and have less of a negative view of this unfortunate piece of our history, but I am sad to say that I still view it in a negative light. I think one of the things that annoys me the most is that people who want the flag flown say it is a part of our history and should be celebrated, but these people ignore the other side of that history. I also find it ironic that people hide behind the first amendment which grants them freedom of speech but this flag represents the act of secession from the nation that granted them that freedom. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm a Yankee.

Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:19 pm

I also attended the Lunch and Learn Series on the Confederate Flag. I also felt the discussion was more of a lecture. However I did like how the professor that lead the series made the series interactive. I also liked how the professor was knowledgeable and did not seem to support a particular side on the subject. I personally feel that the Confederate Flag is part of our history. I have never really thought more about it. I really liked a comment that Megan made, she said that if we should recognize it as a part of our history then we should say that is was not a good time in history for every one. I thought that she made a good point with that and I completely agreed with it. The series did really change my opinion about the flag but I did learn about some of its facts, such as that was not actually the Confederate Country's flag but instead it was its battle flag.

Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:10 pm

Let me first say that I know this may a bit "overly-sensitive" but since we are going into a field where people will constantly be watching everything we say and do, I thought I would state this anyways...
You said that the flag represented "hatred, bigotry, red necks, nascar, racism etc". Coming from a very rural area where Nascar is practically a religion and red neck is a term of affection, I find it very offensive that you lumped those in with the ideas of racism and bigotry. It seems to imply that they are all one and the same. I really don't think you meant it that way, but as future educator's, we unfortunately have to be RIDICULOUSLY careful about what we say!
I promise this is not meant to be an attack or rant of any sort... Just something to think about!

Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]