View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Substitute Teaching 

On Friday November 13th, I substituted in one of the local school systems. I got to teach second grade that day. Substituting has been an eye opening experience. Many of the things I have learned so far in class, I have been able to apply to the classroom when I am substituting. The biggest thing I have been able to connect from class to substituting is Social Classes. When working in a classroom, I can see the different social classes just by noticing how the students interact with one another. In second grade it is not as noticable, but you can see that sometimes a student does not interact with another student because of their social class. Students of the same social class tend to hang out together. The school I substituted at has a large number of low income students. I do not think they are treated any differently than a school that has students that come from high income families. I feel that creativity and exploration is encouraged in this school just as much if it was an Executive Elite School. Sometimes it is hard to visualize the things we have learned about in class that happen in schools until we are actually placed into a classroom.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:16 pm

I also got to substitute teach last week in Avery County Schools. I was at Avery High School and it too was a very eye opening experience. I have been substitute teaching for about two years as kind of a side job. When I filled out my papers, it kind of asks what you feel comfortable actually teaching or lecturing about. I said anything in English, Social Studies, FCS, and beginning Math Classes. They put me in an AP Physics class the first day and an agriculture class the second day. I felt very out of place in these classes, but it really opened my eyes to a couple of things about the school system. For one, teachers must be flexible. I also learned that a lot about teaching is not teaching at all. It is classroom management and the ability to plan. When I was in these classrooms, I did not actually lecture or teach at all, but they were still learning through worksheets and movies. Sometimes when I focus on teaching, it is so much what is coming out of my mouth and not what is going on around me. The realizations I came to while substituting reminds me of "The Hidden Curriculum". There is so much going on in the classroom that impacts their learning experience than just what I had planned.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]