View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 One Better World: Privilege, Identity and Social Justice 

On November 18, 2009 at I.G. Greer Vernon Wall came to ASU as part of the Multicultural Diversity Lecture Series. Vernon started off the lecture with a quote from Martin Luther King Jr. that states: "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." He challenged us to connect our heads with our hearts and take action against oppression. Vernon said that there are 5 main factors that keep the cycle of oppression going 1) low self-esteem 2) taught oppression by people we love 3) mis information 4) "its too big" 5) it is not a priority. Vernon made a really good point that really got me thinking when he said if we made oppression a priority then it would not be a problem anymore. The example he gave was smoking. Enough people have stood together against smoking that it is band or about to be band in many states across the country in public placed. One of the final things we did, as a group, we had a diversity celebration. Vernon had a list of things on the projector and as he read them off if you were involved in it you raised your hand and people cheered for you. Things on the list included are you Christian, are you Jewish, do you know someone who is homosexual or trans gender and the list contained about 30 other items that people could relater with. I was amazed at how some people reacted to same of the items on the list, overall it went really well but when Vernon came to the question are you in a sorority or fraternity the people around me said things like no way or laughed and were like "yeah right." We had just listened for an hour about accepting and celebrating differences and here some people are still judging and being rude. It really got to me but I left feeling like I had learned some new things that I could take to my classroom!

Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]