View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Currituck School Board Meeting 

On Monday November 9th, Natalie and I were home and were able to attend a school board meeting in our county.

At the beginning of the meeting there was a special recognition of faculty and staff at Central Elementary, which was where I went to elementary school at until 3rd grade, for their excellence so far this semester.

Followed by this they did something I never knew they did before. They have two high school students that serve on the school board and bring in more issues from the school itself. I think that this is a great idea and it really helps the students see how the school works from a higher stand point.

There were two requests approved for field trips at the high school, as well as an approval for the high school team to attend a wrestling tournament.

Then were some revisions and adoptions to various policies, such as one one bullying and harassment

There were also two student transfer requests, one student was asking to change schools while the other was under discussion of being released from the school all together.

This was only the third school board meeting I have ever been to and I found it very intriguing. I think that I will definitely try be involved on the school board when I begin to teach because they make so many valuable decisions for the county. While this one was not as exciting and monumental as I am sure some are, it was still interesting to experience.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:51 pm

As Brandi stated, I also attended the school board meeting on Monday, November 9th in our home county, Currituck.

I had been to a school board meeting before here in Watauga County, but never before at home. I attended Currituck County schools for my entire life so it was interesting to see how our school board runs now that I am only a year away from being a teacher myself.

Similarly to Brandi I had never seen high school students present as representatives at a school board meeting before. I agree this is a great idea for getting students involved with the community and possibly encouraging them to be educators in the future. This would be a great thing to require high school students in a teacher cadet class to do as well.

While most of the meeting was just general procedures and approvals, I think it's important to understand how the school system works as a whole in different areas. I have thought about holding a higher position in the education system in which I will work, so I will definitely be attending more school board meetings in the future.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]