View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Response to Walk for Awareness 

For anyone who doesn't know, Walk for Awareness if a silent walk in memory of Jeni Gray, who was abducted, raped, and killed at ASU in 1989. A few months after that Leigh Wallace was abducted and raped by the same man but found the courage to escape and has gone on to live a wonderful life in Watagua County. Leigh Wallace was the guest speaker for the evening, and she informed the audience on her struggle she has had to go through and how she never gave up and she is no longer a victim but a survivor. After we all took the silent walk through campus, the gospel choir sang a few inspiration songs. Four of our fellow students got up and spoke on the topic. One girl telling us to be strong, another girl telling us of a friend who was raped, and a man telling us to pledge against this awful thing that has happened to so many Americans. The students speeches really got to me because they made me feel strong they didn't direct it to the girls and how we need to use the buddy system but they talked to the boys telling them to stand up for girls and to realize if a friend of theirs is doing something wrong. So how is this related to eduation. The whole hour I was there, I was in silence taking in this information that these people were telling me. It wasn't the education I would have received in the classroom but the education I receive beyond it.

Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:42 pm

I also attended the Walk for Awareness. I was very moved by Leigh Cooper Wallace's strength when she was giving her speech. She has so much courage to first of all, be a survivor, and second of all, to teach about what happened to her. She said that she was only a victim in the past, and now she is a survivor. She explained to all of us how her family, friends, and community were so comforting in her time of need. Leigh told us that we have the support we need if anything ever happens to us, and we must use that support. During the silent walk, I was thinking about how hard it must have been for Leigh and all the other victims of sexual violence to cope with the tragedy. I was proud of her for her courage. We all ended up in the grassy area between Edwin Duncan and Rankin, and the Gospel Choir sang. I'm in the Gospel Choir so I've been learning the words to the songs we sang, but they were very encouraging. "We're going to keep on marching forward, marching forward." I was also moved by the words that four of our fellow students spoke in their speeches. I found this event to very educational. I learned about Leigh's coping process, about support services on campus, and about how my community is so loving and supportive. I do feel more informed and like this experience was a type of education. This kind of education is imperitive for all people to know about and I think the event was a huge success.

Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:16 am

I attended walk for awareness too! I thought that the whole experience was inspiring. The strength that Leigh Cooper Wallace has is amazing. To be faced with such a traumatic event at the very young age of 20, Wallace has managed to persevere and her experience has made her a better person. She shared with us the story of how that one night has effected her life and how she doesn't want others to have the same experience. The service was very humbling. It was amazing to see so many people gathered to help raise awareness for sexual violence. As we walked in silence the very short distance from Sanford Mall to Raley courtyard I was taken back by it all. The other speakers that are fellow students of ours spoke of how to stay safe so we do not find ourselves in the same situation as Wallace did. They talked about girls staying together at parties and never leaving anyone behind. They also spoke of having courage to stand up to friends who were doing things that were wrong and considered sexual violence. The event was educational and informative. Services that ASU offers when students are faced with these situations were explained and made available. I feel that the community we are surrounded by is so loving and always willing to help, no matter what. It is important for students our age to educate themselves on these issues and I felt that the event helped spread awareness and education of sexual violence.

Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:32 pm

I also attended the walk for awareness!! It is amazing to hear these women recount their stories and strength. It is not easy to go through something like that, but to be able to talk about it later with such confidence and integrity is something to be admired. It was a very powerful walk, which I tend on participating in every year. To be surrounded by so many people who cared was very moving. At the end to see all of those red lights up in the air reminds me why I attended APP. The close knit community we live in helps us all to feel a littler safer on campus. I know people who have been personally effected by rape and I know that these stories of other people's triumphs has encouraged them to open up about their own stories. By sharing their experiences I believe we can educate women how to prevent something like this from happening to them as well. It is important to travel in pairs and always go where there are lights. This is something I would definentley recommend for others to attend this walk and hear the stories of these remarkable women.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:06 pm

I also attended the Walk for Awareness. Leigh Cooper Wallace's speech was very moving. I can't imagine going through what she went through & having survived such an awful event & then being able to stand up & talk about it. It is so inspiring to me that she talks to groups of people not for the glory or so that people will feel sorry for her, instead she does so she help stop what happened to her from happening to someone else. That is truly courageous! The event was very educational & the things I learned that night are not necessarily things I would learn in a classroom. The speakers spoke of ways to prevent rape & encouraged other victims of rape to speak out & get help. I definitely recommend going to the Walk for Awareness next year to all of you, not just the girls!

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:35 pm
Profile WWW

I went to walk for awareness, but just figured out how this forum works. Although this post is probably a little late, I thought I would add to the blog. I had a very good friend of mine speak at the walk. She has been through a lot, and it was very moving to see her at speaking in front of all those people. She talked about the importance of a buddy system and how,as women, we really need to watch out for one another. You never think that anything bad could happen to you when you go out. We all think Boone is such a safe town with friendly people. While it is those things, we all still need to be aware of what goes on around us. This walk truly surfaces those cruelties of the world and makes girls thinks before making some decisions.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:17 pm

i am just not getting around to completing all my posts for the class. i attended walk for awareness with a couple of my friends. i drive for safe ride and know how many dangerous spots there are on campus where people can be alone and in danger and not realize it. i hope that this walk helps people take the fact that bad things can happen to them on campus. being aware of whats around you and the possibilities of what can happen to you are very important and it is very important for it to be taken seriously. always walking on campus at night with a group of people is safer than being alone. there is also safe ride :]

Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]