View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Jones House jam session 

On Thursday, September 24, 2009 I had the opportunity to attend a jam session at the Jones House. The Jones House is a community center on King Street here in Boone. The styles of music played during the jam session included country, old time, & folk. It was an intimate venue of talented musicians pooling their gifts together to create unique, toe-tapping melodies. The jam session consisted of about 12 or 13 fiddle, guitar, mandolin, piano, & banjo players, along with my roommate, me & a few other audience members, including the Mayor of Boone. I am not a big fan of this type of music so this entire experience was completely foreign & new to me. I was taken my complete surprise when the leader of the jam session recruited me to play the washtub bass (a metal washtub turned upside down with a clothesline running from the middle of the tub to the top of a broom handle. There was a small tennis ball inside the washtub that was tied to the string which when pulled would tighten the string so it could be plucked). Considering I had never played an instrument prior to this night I felt out of place but decided to make the best of the situation & learn from the experience. My experience at the Jones House was very educational & enjoyable. My roommate was able to point out instruments that I did not know the names of & I became cultured in a new style & genre of music. The evening demonstrated how simple pleasures & beautiful music come together.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:08 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]