View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 FCS Meeting for CMS teachers 

This past Saturday I went to a school district meeting for all Family and Consumer Science Teachers in Mecklenberg county schools. I will be doing my student teaching there, so it was neat to go and see some of the things that go on. They set aside workshops for the teachers to go to as well as dinner. They also had a session where they kind of hashed out all of the problems they had been having. Ever teaching in CMS has to have at least 3 hours of curriculum related study and these meetings are how they get them in. I went to a workshop on gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered as well as a technology crash course. The workshop on glbt was very enlightening. The teachers in some areas were very conservative and could not open up to this workshop. A couple of the teachers in more liberal areas were open to talking about it and several had gay girls and boys in their classroom. The workshop was mostly about being open minded and receptive to them and to not be biased. The crash course on technology was about how to use PowerPoint appropriately in the classroom. They also had a session where they talked about some of the problems they were having in their classroom. The teachers would then hash out ideas to help the others. It was great getting to network with some of the teachers where i would like to students teach. I am so glad this group is very supportive.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]