View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Body image 

Should girls wear shoes like those pictured in this post?
Poll ended at Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Yes 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
No 79%  79%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 19

Body image 

I think young girls should not be encouraged to wear red high heel shoes such as the ones in the picture. I think it is ok for some teenage girls to wear the shoes depending on the event but for girls in elementary and middle school these shoes are not appropriate. The style and image these shoes represent are a product of society's standards, and although I don't think individuals should necessarily conform to the qualifications set by society, I do think it is important for girls to understand the connotations behind wearing platform, red high heels. Other than dressing up for a role or particpating in some sort of show I don't see why young girls would need to wear heels like these. It is obvious that these fashionable shoes symbolize a more feminine, sexual appeal that should only be worn by a woman who understands their effect, as opposed to a young girl.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:09 pm

I definitely do not think girls should be wearing high heels like the ones pictured. There is simply no purpose for it other than to attract the wrong kind of attention. Many young girls are in such a rush to dress and act older than they are, and it does cause all kinds of problems like the ones mentioned in the videos. I personally know a 14 year old who struggled with anorexia not too long ago, and it was really surprising to me when I find out because she was already thin! There is definitely an obsession with body image today. I think it's really important to be healthy, but that is achieved with eating well and exercise. There is a difference between being concerned about your health and being concerned about fitting the size 0 stereotype of a model. The media emphasizes the importance of looking like those models and leaves girls with the feeling that if they don't look like that, then they aren't beautiful. It simply isn't true. I think there should be more taught in health classes covering this topic.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:39 am

I do not think that young girls should wear shoes like this because of the perceptions placed on them when they are wearing stilettos. I feel that children, no matter what gender, should be protected as much as possible from the consequences of doing something they don't realize will have consequences. A young girl does not know that wearing red high heels can bring unwanted attention to themselves. Once a girl is old enough to understand this she should be able to do as she pleases. If she wants that kind of attention than that is her prerogative. As children it is our parents responsibility to protect us from unnecessarily attention, embarrassment etc. & as a parent I will probably not allow my young daughter to wear heels like this.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2