View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 The Electricity Fairy Documentary 

In September I attended a documentary called the Electricity Fairy. It showed and talked about the major affects that coal mining has on small towns located in the Appalachian mountains. Even though we don't have coal mining here in Boone if you live and teach in the mountains of Kentucky, Virginia, and West Virginia these mines are a huge part of your life. I think it is important to know and understand the pollution and loss of jobs because of coal mining because as a teacher you need to understand the background of a child in your class and the community that you live in. This town in southwestern Virginia was trying to stop Dominion from building another coal mining plant near their town. In the end this plan failed and the plan for the plant was passed in an overwhleming fashion! The people who build power plants talk of the huge benefit that towns will have by agreeing to have a plant built, but most towns only see huge losses of employment and living conditions. Employment usually decreases and a town that was once thriving is now a ghost town. It was very sad to see how much a plant affected people's lives. In the past many children/young adults would go and work in coal mines instead of going to school to get an education. This is a very important part of the Appalachia history and anyone who teaches in the area should study and know about it.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:54 pm

I thought that it would be neat to explore the different classes that make up the town where this new plant was placed. I am sure that there was a pretty big amount of diversity, but I think the most affected families would probably be the lower working class. It is interesting that something like air pollution doesn't distinguish between social classes even though the implementation of the coal plant came from the middle and upper classes.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]