View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 classroom assesments for middle school. (coach turner) 

I believe the meeting with Coach Turner was helpful. He displayed a power point with useful activities to keep the students attention and include ALL students as well. He explained the importance of not seating a very bright kid beside a kid who could be struggling. This has the potential to intimidate the child who is struggling. His activities were helpful in creating a comfortable classroom environment. He also explained that as a teacher to use your strengths, example if your a good storyteller, do that, good at jokes, do that. Coach Turner is from the Hickory area, and he explained that at a high school in the area, it was a top to bottom social economic scale, from Dale Jarret's children to ones below the poverty line. I am glad I was able to make it to the meeting.

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:02 pm

I also attended the Teaching Fellows meeting with Coach Turner. Coach Turner showed us many strategies to keep learners actively involved in the classroom & in lessons. He spoke about team-building, brain-based learning strategies (determining how each of your students learn best), cooperative learning strategies, assessment strategies, time management strategies & effective instruction (games, etc.) Coach Turner got us involved in the discussion & did a great job overall. I thought the meeting was very informative.

Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:30 pm
Profile WWW

I also attended the Teaching Fellows seminar on classroom management in the middle grades. I really enjoyed the seminar given by Coach Turner a middle school teacher and coach from Hickory. He had numerous ideas for activities that help to get kids to have fun in the classroom and learn at the same time. The activities included team building. This is a great way to have students share their strengths and weaknesses and a little bit about what makes them who they are. It is important that students get to know their classmates; these relationships will lead to a positive learning environment and respect among students. As a teacher, it is important that I incorporate these types of activities in my classroom. My students will appreciate the time they have together learning and enjoying each others company. His ideas really got me thinking about a few years from now and my first year teaching. It is important that I do not becoming the type "A" teacher he discussed and instead think outside of the box and teach with interactive lessons and activities.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]