View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Tunnel of Oppression 

Tonight I attended the Tunnel of Oppression. I didn't know what to expect or anything about the topic but I was blown away with the affect it had on me. I walked into the Blue Ridge Ballroom that was pitch black. There were different stations my group attended where people acted subjects out or just talked about them. They talked about the issues that people face in everyday life that most people don't want to notice like eating disorders, HIV, Abuse, Transgender, Females, and Religion. In every "station" I learned somethiing that I never knew before. There are 22 major religions in the world and that means that they have at least 1/2 a million followers. About 10-17 million teenage girls have an eating disorder which means 1 in 6 out of 200 girls has an eating disorder. That one really got to me because I know what its like to think that you aren't the perfect size or whatever, but I have grown up to love myself where as some girls don't. Relationship Abuse was something else that touched me because girls now a days don't understand that they can do better than their abusive boyfriend but they don't want to leave them because they have created a security blanket for them. They also talked about how about 1 million or more people live on 2 dollars and 50 cents a day and how transgender people face bullying all throughout growing up. All of these topics relate to what we have been discussing in class because they are all issues that can effect a child learning. They are things that we as teachers need to notice and if something is happening we need to step in and try to help.

Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:27 pm

I also attended the Tunnel of Oppression and I also was not sure what to expect. I knew there were going to be some touchy subjects addressed and I knew it was a walk-through kind of thing but that was all I was aware of. It really kind of hit home. All of the skits were so real. And almost each skit we watched, I could think of a friend or someone I knew who was going through a similar situation. One of my roommates for instance is in a verbally abusive relationship, but she hides it. I know numerous girls who don't eat because they think they are fat, I hear people criticize others because of their race and religion all the time. One of the scenes they had you close your eyes and pretend you were on a train on your way home, having no idea you were about to be killed because you were a jew. Everyone involved with the Tunnel of Oppression did an outstanding job, they really made you feel what they were feeling. It's sad that it takes something like this to wake you up. I need to make an effort to reach out to my friends who have been hurt because of certain kinds verbal abuse, even its your own self who is doing the abusing. This really helped you become aware that you have no idea what people around you are going through. Rather than judging them because of something, you need to reach out to them. Maybe they just need a friend, or just an ounce of encouragment to get them through the day.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:57 am

I attended the Tunnel of Oppression, too. I thought this was a great way to illustrate oppression. All of the actors and actresses did a great job. The stations were very moving, and at each one of them I tried to think of someone I know who could be connected with that situation. There was one station that dealed with homosexuality and transgenders. This one helped make the situations that the panel talked about more real for me. I could actually see the situations that they talked about first-hand. The part where I was supposedly getting off a train at a concentration camp almost made me cry. It was partly because they were yelling at us, and partly because I knew that it wasn't real, but there have been people who have faced this in real life and did not have the option of walking away afterwards. Everything about the Tunnel of Oppression was very powerful. It gave me many things to think about and to consider. As we left, the guides told us that they hoped this had impacted us. They gave us the choice to realize these situations in our lives and do something about it, or to simply forget what we had seen and go on with our lives like oppression is not a problem. This was a great way for me to realize what oppression really is and how many people are affected by it.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]