View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Corruption in Honduras 

I attended this lecture two weeks ago and was unsure if it would fit into what we have been talking about in our Foundations Class, but I think that it really does tie in with what we have been learning about. I had not heard a lot about the coup and all of the political and military stuff going on in Honduras so I learned a lot in the hour and half long lecture.

There is an ongoing question of if there was a coup or not. The United States does not recognize what is happening in Honduras as a coup. This past summer President Zelaya requested that opinion ballots about changing the constitution be handed out by the military. The Honduras military refused to hand out the ballots and Zelaya fired Velasquez, the Joint Chief of Staff. He refused to step down and lead the coup to exile the President and begin its own running of Honduras. Some media has been banned, there are strict curfews, children are not going to school, and the military is repressing any people that are making a stand.

Whether this situation is a coup or not it has a lot to do with the United States! Since Hurricane Mitch devastated Honduras, immigrants have been flooding to the United States for work and refuge. That means that children who have grown up and lived in Honduras and experienced all of these awful happenings are now attending U.S. schools. As teachers we have to be up to date on what is going on in the world around us because the people around us could be affected by it. Just like us knowing who is celebrating what holiday it is just as important to know a person's past.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:16 pm

It is also important to remember that sometimes what we hear in the media is not always exactly what happened. There is always more than one side of the story and we don't need to just take what we hear for granted. After thinking about it this lecture reminded me of Milgram's experiment and how so many people just go with the flow and follow whoever is leading them. This is the same in the situation in Honduras. Some people are going with the new leadership, while others are taking a stand because they do not believe in it. Whether you agree or not it is vital to have your own set of opinions and beliefs and to not let those change easily or without cause.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]