View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Convocation 

I know this was a long time ago, but I found this year's Convocation to be especially beneficial for future educators. The speaker, Greg Mortenson, is extremely dedicated to the concept of Peace Through Education. He spoke on how the majority of the problems in this world stem from ignorance. He said that we should not be in a "War on Terrorism" but a "War on Ignorance".

I agreed with everything that the speaker stood for. Mortenson is also the author of the book, "Three Cups of Tea", which has been turned into a children's book as well. Also present at Convocation were classes of elementary school students. I was very impressed by the obvious affect the book and its message had had on these kids. It made me think about as a teacher how I have power to change the world through education.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:57 am

I also attended Convocation at the beginning of the semester. Greg Mortenson is the author of "Three Cups of Tea", an amazing book about his journey from a mountain climber to an outstanding humanitarian. His promise to come back and build a school in the village that saved his life shows how truly great we as humans can be in helping those less fortunate. As Kristen stated, Mortenson shares the view that most of the problems we face as a society are due to ignorance, and the lack of willingness to learn and accept what is different. The speech was very inspiring, and I would recommend Mortenson's book for everyone to read.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:08 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]