View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 PTMA 

I attended three PTMA meetings as a requirement for my Mathematics classes this semester. PTMA stands for Prospective Teachers of Mathematics Association. These seminars gave me some great insights and ideas that I can use in a math classroom. The first meeting was led by a Student Resource Officer who gave us tips and trick of how to handle ourselves with students and parents. The officer also talked to us about how to utilize the SRO officers in our school systems.

The next meeting was led by a current math teacher who is known for his use of song and dance in the classroom. He uses these mnemonic devices as a way to memorize the multiple formulas and techniques that come with learning math. He also warned us that these techniques should only be used as a supplement to teaching and never as a replacement of teaching.

The final meeting dealt with the dangers of the internet for teachers. We were warned about facebook and other social networking sites. The presenters told us that if it is on the internet, someone will find it. They also talked about the dangers of becoming too available to your students. We were told that there is a fine line between being friendly and having a friendship with our students and that we can never compromise that relationship by getting to close to students, especially as young teachers.

I benefited greatly from the advice of those who are already in the school systems. Being a part of these meetings was a great way to prepare my mind for student teaching next semester.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]