View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:04 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Using fiction to teach 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really enjoyed reading fiction this semester as opposed to the standard textbook. I think teachers in elementary school use fiction a lot; however, I feel the higher you go in education, the less you see of fictional texts. What do you guys think?

Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Sam, I agree with you. At first I couldn't believe that we were being assigned the fiction to read. I was skeptical about how it would tie into our class. But, as I was reading, I could really see a lot of themes that we deal with in education on a daily basis. It was so worthwhile to read these books and even Pay It Forward, in our other class related to our teaching. It would be nice if we had more fiction to read along the way.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree with you both. I think that reading fiction and finding the themes that we have found throughout these texts, helps to encourage me to continue along this path in the future. I now see that even if I do pick up a fictional story, I can apply it to my classroom. At the beginning I was skeptical of how a few of these themes or ideas could be applied to my setting in a kindergarten classroom. Between the fictional books read in these two classes, it has broadened my thoughts for new ideas I can use, even for five and six year olds.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree. Children get bored with stupid textbooks. We need to let them read ficitonal stories and relate them to what we want them to learn. I feel that if we do this they will become more intrested in their learning and they will stay more connected.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree Sam, research has proven that students perform better with reading comprehension through fiction rather than non-fiction. With this mindset I think that it is great that we have been introduced to using fiction as a way to communicate ideas and themes. This is a great classroom practice for the future.

-Albert Einstein

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have enjoyed it as well, Sam. This year at our school we have been pushed to offer our students equal opportunites to select nonfiction books as we do fiction books. Students struggle with nonfiction because facts are facts. they can't memorize facts. They need to make connections when they read. Of course they are gonna make more connections to a fiction text, which would explain Justin's comment about research.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:21 am

I agree Sam. I enjoy using novels to learn about certain topics instead of dry and dull textbook. I feel that by using novels in our classrooms, we can help students make connections to not only the characters in the stories but their situations. They get to see it through their eyes and can make those conections to how they might feel.

"We are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka

Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:38 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]