View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hooray for Ch. 12 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Chapter 12 renewed my spirits. Throughout the book I felt more and more depressed as I went. I just kept thinking of the Hallway Hangers from Ain't No Makin' It. It seemed like urban schools were a loss cause with no chance for change. Then we were able to see the diamonds in the rough. Those teachers whose faith in their students did not fail. These administrators and teachers looked at their students as an opportunity to inspire. They were able to dodge the pitfalls of the programmed or overly-structured schools. These educators are undertaking the impossible tasks we all face daily. We are trying to mold children futures regardless of their homelife, ethnicity, language, or SES. I felt this chapter should have been a stronger part of the book. While the graphic detail of these schools was important. I wish more time was spent on solutions to the problems faced in urban schools.

Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wow! Well stated. This resonates my thoughts exactly. I feel as educators and members of society we are like Kozol. We spend much more time complaining about our problems and issues and little time finding, researching, or implementing a solution.

Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:29 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree Natalie. The problem with our educational system today is that we have lots of chiefs telling us "what" to do and "how" to do it and not nearly enough indians that actually do find the solutions to the problems and are able to share those solutions due to the regimented structural programs that so many systems across our nation are adopting.

-Albert Einstein

Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree as well. Justin was right when he said that we have to many chiefs. They come in making all these rules and decisions about what we need to do and how we need to do it. They often forget about the real reason we are in this profession which is the children. Not all children are the same therefore they will not learn everything the same.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:21 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]