View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 A place for women??? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As I am reading it is very evident to me that the lack of test makers in the story are women...I think I only remember Myers Briggs...who was developed by a woman. The men who developed these tests seemed very stuck on being the elites of society back then. Would the picture have changed if a woman developed the test? The Myers Briggs test is about a person's personality...how might this have changed things if Isabel Myer Briggs was the inventor of the SATs? Would there have been a different understanding through her research?

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Jenny, I was thinking along the same lines as you during my reading. Except I was wondering more about what would testing be like if more diverse; meaning what might tests be like if created by people of different backgrounds, ethnicities, etc.. I wonder how this would impact the scores from our minority groups. There was an excellent quote somewhere in there that stuck out to me... something about... wouldn't it be easier to adapt tests and make them culturally relevant to all students versus changing students cultures?

Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Absolutley!! Making learning and testing cultrualy relevent is the only way to get students more interested in school. How else can students relate to what they are learning and apply it to their own lives. By making learning and testing more relevent to students lives, they are bound to grasp so much more. They could also learn how to overcome obstacles in life instead of freezing up like they do on many test. I still haven't figured out what excatley we are trying to prove with all this testing. Giving students a good education and enabling them to succeed in life should out weigh all the numbers in the end!

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think about this a lot. If all the research and data says that standardized tests are frequently culturally biased... why do we continue to give them? How many years of this before we change? It is so frustrating because I do not see it getting any better. It seems like year after year there is more testing!

Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:34 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I get upset with all the testing also. Students can make straight A's all year long and then they have to take the EOG which is a standardize test and can fell it. I do not think we should base a child's whole year on one test. Some students just can not take standardize test. Some adults can not take them. I had a hard time with Praxis I. I did very well in all my college classes but, struggle taking the test. I got sick and nervous just like some of these kids do. What does this prove?

Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that so many times our students are faced with a many setbacks even before they begin taking an assessment. Many children have not experienced things discussed on standardized tests. It can not be assumed that all children have had the same experiences because they have not. There are so many students who make wonderful grades throughout the year, but when faced with the EOG's fall short because of the biases present on the test. It is so sad for those students, because it isn't their fault.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Testing is the way that our state an nation feels that it must make students and teachers "accountable". The problem I have with it is that there are so many external factors that influence the outcome of the scores that it makes me frustrated as an educator. When a child comes in to take a test, you don't know what they are bringing with them. When they walk through the door, the fact that they haven't eaten since yesterday's cafeteria lunch, or they saw their father beat their mother last night, or the fact that maybe their parents weren't even there to get them ready for the school day, don't disappear from their minds as they sit beside another child who's parents made sure they got in bed early, and had a nutritous breakfast, and wished them well on the day's test. These children are held to the same level of "accountability" and if they don't meet the expectations. The child is "below grade level" or may need to be identified for special services.

-Albert Einstein

Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:22 pm
Profile WWW

Jenny, I think maybe things would be different if more women were involved with testing since we think more with our heart than our brains!! I also agree with everyone about all of our standardized testing. In my midterm, I wrote about how teachers are supposed to teach our students to dream big and achieve their goals, but they have to be good test takers!

Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was thinking about how different our jobs would be if our assessments were relevent to the students lives and interests. Students would not be fretful and anxious at test time, because it would be something they were comfortable with. One positive change I have seen personally in how we asses is within writing. Aa a fourth grade teacher, the stress has been diminished greatly with the new assessment. The students are more relaxed knowing that we're not basing the scoring on proficiency, but rather on their individual writing ability. If other assesments made that much sense, our lives would be less painful.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:43 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]