View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 What if Carl Brigham had lived? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I couldn't help but to think about this. Brigham was a staunch opponent of the testing system and it remained a Ivy League testing device until he passed away at the age of 52. What if he lived longer and continued the fight? Maybe others would have joined him and we would not have been in the mess we find ourselves today. His quote " If the unhappy day ever comes when teachers point their students towar these newer examinations and the present weak and restricted procedures get a grip on educaton then we may look for the inevitable distortion of eduaction in ters of test." seems to have come true. It was written 72 years ago. What foresight.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is exactly was I was saying in my post, but I was wondering what would happen is Chauncey had lived. Is there anyway we could have changed his mind and made him see how this testing is hurting our children.

Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think about the kids that love school and have great potential but hate test. A lot of them freeze up or just don't perform well on test. Does that mean that these students are not learning or are not as smart as other kids. Way to much pressure is placed on students and teachers when it comes to testing. It harms a childs potential to succeed in school and life when test become the dividing factor of defining intelligence. I hope one day the people in charge will recognize the stresses our students and teachers are put under to test, test, test! Ones intelleigence level could never be truely tested and summed up in one test. There has to be an alternative to evaluating our students ability to learn.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:18 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]