View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Could you imagine? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Could you imagine if Henry Chauncey was still alive today, and how he would feel about his creation? Would we literally want to hurt him whenever we saw him? What he created to me, is a torture device. His harmless way of finding the most elite leaders of the country is now tearing our children apart. I have children in sixth grade that have already thrown in their learning towel. We haven't even hit our first full month of school, and they are done. Parents came to me on meet and greet night just to let me know how bad their child was struggling, and how many times their child had to retake the EOG. Whatever happened to "hello" "how are you" "glad you're here"? I just find it hard to believe that we as a country are still torturing our students with these vile tests. These tests started out as a separating device, and they still are. It's just not fair to those students who don't do well under pressure. What do you guys think?

Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Well to start off I have never been the type to do good on test, therefore, not all children can do good on test. We should not use this as a seperating device because number one not all children are dumb just because the scored low on the test because they could be like me and not do well on them. Number two we should not seperate children because they learn the most from each other. Therefore I dont like any kind of test.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that we have gotten carried away with the testing. We are an RTI school. There are a couple of children in my class who don't do well on these timed assessments. Therefore, they get recommended for a Tier plan which is crazy. When I have conferenced with them about their tests they tell me they were nervous because they didn't know the person who was administering the test. However, their test grades are high A's. Many times we must investigate the factors that contributed to their lower test grade.....not jump to conclusions. I think that testing has become a monster in our schools.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you girls! Testing can be a cruel way of seperating out students. A test never reveals the true intellect of an individual. There are so many other ways of understanding how bright children may or may not be. I know if I would have followed what certain test results said about my performance, I would have never attended college. However, I did go on to college and made Dean's list and the President's list every semester. That just shows you how unreliable test results can be. Test prove nothing. Hard work reveals more about a person than any test ever could.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Just in the first four weeks of school, I have experienced exactly what you all are talking about with testing. We are also an RTI school. I have several students in my homeroom who do not do well on timed tests but there is nothing below grade level about their comprehsion of what they read. I have already had to argue that point with the people who are doing the testing. Why is it we subject kids to these things that don't take into account a child's personality. A child may not read as quickly as some one says they should, but they get the deeper meaning of what they are reading. I wish the "powers that be" would just leave us alone to do our jobs.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:27 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know that Chauncey would be deeply hurt by the way his creation has been turned in today's world. However, I can't possibily rule out the ways it may have positively impacted the world. It is so easy to quickly focus on the negative impacts of testing. But, his development of the test has probably been helpful for teaching others about validity and reliability, whether this reaches outside the education world and into other areas that require tests like the medical world.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:48 pm

I agree that testing is torture for our students. Students don't have fun learning at school. Teachers are told to make things fun, but when you are teaching to the test it is hard. Sometimes my students will get excited about something in class and I just don't have the time to let them fully explore their questions and find answsers. It is sad,but I have two and a half hours in the morning to get in math, reading,writing, science and social studies. The rest of the day is spend at lunch, specials and pullouts. Our kids are being placed under so much stress at a young age, it is not wonder that many people find themselves on prescription medication just to be able to cope with everyday life. There are other ways to assess children at the elementary level that would be less stressful and give a more true picture of what the student is capable of.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:04 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]