View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Parent Involvement Ideas 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After last night's discussion about the accountability of parents, it got me thinking. I know each of us have unique ways we connect with our parents and get them involved. What are some things you have used in your classroom or school, which support parental involvement?

Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

For me.... I think the most important thing we can do is let the parents know we are on the same team. I think its very important to establish those positive relationships with the parents at the beginning of the school year. I always try to send home a couple of good notes, good phone calls, etc. before anything else. I feel like once the parents know that you care about your child, they are more willing to help you.

Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That sounds like a good strategy. I think parents should be informed when their child does something good! Think about those parents that may only ever get negative calls from teachers year after year. How happy would it make them feel to let them know when their child does something right. That sounds like a great way to let parents know that you are on the same team and only want to help their child perform well in school. It may also let parents know that you are friendly and willing to talk with them at anytime in the future. Pulling out some positive points along with the negative lets students and parents know that teachers don't always focus on what a student isn't doing well. There has to be at least one postive thing a student may do that an educator could really play up to make that student feel more confident.

Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I ask parents to come on field trips. Lots of teachers in my school have parents to volunteer during the day. Some of my colleagues send weekly newsletters. We ask our parents to come to all of our events like dances and festivals. We even have grandparents to come on the last Friday of the month to re leave teachers of lunch duty. This really makes parents feel like they are wanted and belong to our school community.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

First of all I keep my parents involved with what we are doing in our classroom by sending home newsletters weekly. I also have parents go on field trips, come in for parties, or have special days such as muffins for moms, and I also call and send notes for good things not just bad things.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

At the beginning of the year, I have a binder that lists all the different ways that parents can be involved in just my classroom. Ideas such as: Reading Group Help, Reading to the Class, Project Help (sending things home they can put together or cut out), Party Coordinators, Field Trips, Community Helper Speakers, Grandparents Day Helpers, etc. This is very helpful for them and for me as well, so I have an idea of the parent's interests and avaliablity when I am planning these events.

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the key is communication. I know that parents respect honesty and feedback about their child. Some teachers try to sugarcoat things. I have had good results with parents by saying things like,"I know this math does not look like how we were taught. It's okay if you don't understand it!" By offering help to parents, I feel they are more likely to be supportive of school with their child.

Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have smart charts that go home everyday. This a place for the students behavior to be track. They get a smiley face for good behavior or a mark if they did something wrong and I explain what they got a mark for. I encourage my parents to write me a note that paper if they have any questions, commments, or concerns because this stays in their childs folder and is seen everyday. I encourage my parents to go on trips with us, eat lunch with their child, and we have parent night for the parents to come and learn how to help their child at home.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:04 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]