View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Passing it on? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Many adults don't find reading enjoyable. Are schools to blame for the attitudes children grow to feel and have towards reading? How can we as teachers, better develop a passion for reading in our students? What needs to change in our classrooms? Schools? Districts?

Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that often times students are pushed only to read a certain type of book or a certain level of book. This often is so discouraging. Yes, my school uses the AR program. However, in my classroom I set a low goal for each of my students. I may only suggest that they get a couple of points. I do not pressure them about taking an AR test. If they are reading, I am pleased. I also make sure that each student reach their goal. I feel that in second grade, this is their first experience with AR. If they start off not reaching their goals, they will never feel successful and will quickly turn away from reading. I think that they must have a positive experience with AR instead of turning it into a stressful experience. Therefore, I always tell parents and kids that they can read anything. As long as they are enjoying reading, it doesn't matter what they are reading.
I believe that we must stop pressuring students to read certain books simply because they are AR. Instead, we must go to the library with our students and help them to find books that spark their interest.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Reading is becoming more than just picking up a book. It is extending to being able to use the internet to read as well as books, newspapers magazines etc. Unfortunately in order to test students we put alot of pressure on them. And I think they get so stressed out at school that the joy of reading is taking away. It is a shame...but that is why as teachers we need to be role models and through actions students will either recieve a positive message or a negative one.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Jessica, I believe that in order for us to change the mindset for children to love reading, we are going to have to look at how we approach teaching reading. Our educational system has proven that they are bound and determined to have all students on the same level and on the same page...no pun intended. If we are going to re-instill that passion for reading we are going to have to get rid of those ideals and say that it is ok if we are not all on the same page and teach children to read what they are passionate about rather than what they have to be able to do to pass a test.

-Albert Einstein

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Jennifer I admire you for setting your goals low for your students. I do think AR plays a big role in students not enjoying to read. Students can not read books they enjoy. They have to go to the media center and find books on their AR reading level read that book take a test on it and earn a certain amount points. Once the students have earned their points then they are free to read and can read what ever they like. Not all students get to this point. Some students do not score very high on the STAR test and have to read low level books they do not interest them. I some boys that could read Magic Tree House books and pass the test with flying colors but the books are not on thier level so they can not read them. The students get upset and do not want to read because they can not read what they enjoy.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you all that AR can be a detriment to our students enjoying reading, but only if it's not used correctly. Idealy it should be used to help children make good choices about what they read. I have a student a few years ago that did not like to read. He was making poor choices about the books he was reading and then his AR scores were low. Once I talked with him about his interests, we were able to change that. I helped him search for books relating to a topic he was interested in and his AR scores steadily rose as did his reading level. It's all in how you use the program and getting to know your students so that you can guide them to the books that will help them grow and they will enjoy.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it is also important to show a love of reading yourself. Read alouds are an important part of this. Most of the books I read aloud become favorite books for my students. They find other books connected to the topic or in the series. I find them excited to read these books. I think our attitudes need to change to change our students' opinion of reading.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:28 pm

Teaching kindergarten, I feel it's a big part of my job to instill hte love of reading. I am constantly reading to my students every chance I get! I always model excitement about reading and this reflects back onto the students. I also think tha making connections between books and the students can help them to enjoy reading more. I always make a point to look at their library book they picked out each day and make some positive exciting comment about it to get them excited about reading it at home.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:57 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]