View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Thoughts on Home on the Field 

What is everyones thoughts about this book? I think it is interesting so far. Interesting to be reading a sports book for this class i think.

Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm actually really enjoying this book. After just finishing the novel, Soft Rain, a book on the Cherokee Trail of Tears, with my mostly Hispanic class this book is relevant to some of the discussions we've had in my 4th grade class. Nearing the end of the reading of the novel Soft Rain one of my Hispanic students raised his hand and said "Oh I get it. The Indians had to get away like we, Mexicans, do." Not really knowing where this was going I persuaded him to continue. He ventured to explain how Mexicans (he called them this) had to cross the river and act like snakes or they would be shot. He told a story about how his mother and father crossed the river into the US (his mother was pregnant with him and his father carried his two year sister). He said they had to bob their heads up and down like snakes. The story was absolutely amazing. And... he was understanding and empathizing with the main character in the novel, Soft Rain. He was probably better understanding the themes of the story than most white kid in my classroom. Upon his desire to tell the class about his family story, two more Hispanics spoke up and told of similar stories with their family. Then, a very shy boy in my classroom said "Yea, Mrs. Nelson, my daddy is on his way back here now and I pray every night that he makes it to us. I'm afraid he will be shot in the river." My heart stopped. This was real to my kids; more real than to me.

So... this story we are reading for grad. class runs parallel to my students' lives. My kids' stories and this novel have really caused me to slow down and listen to these kids, think about where they are coming from, and show more tenderness and love with them. We truly never know where our kids are coming from and what they are going through!

Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:23 pm

These types of stories make you say "yes" for the underdog. It reminds me of a Southern Baptist church...so set in their ways. It has always been done that way and we don't want no oursider coming in and changing things. That is a sad attitude to have.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:02 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]