View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Like a waterfall or a pond?? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Are you like the water from a waterfall or a pond? In a pond the water stands still. Very rarely does it keep flowing. Only sometimes a frog might create a ripple in the pond. But for the most part the water is still and smelly. A waterfall is always moving. It is traveling fast always changing and creating new rocks. Once the water from a waterfall runs over the rocks they are never the same. It is swift and quick.

Are you the waterfall or the pond? As an educator do you embrace change or resist it? Do you move with flow or resist the change that comes in your way? Should education be seen like a pond or a waterfall?

I personally think that I would want to be like the waterfall. Consistantly moving. When I come in contact with my colleages and students always flowing over them with new ideas. And most importantly...gently over time help influence the practices and philosophies that we hold most dearly to our hearts as educators.

I think I agree with Dewey...

Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am a waterfall. I am in constant motion. I always want to learn a new skill or strategy that will help my students become better learners. :lol:

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

No doubt that I am a waterfall. No two years are ever the same, never have kept a plan book, and always try new things. I love being spontaneous and year after year my kids say that the thing they like best about my class is that they never know what they are going to do each day.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:18 pm

I think I am like a waterfall. I constantly change up the way I do things in my classroom to better help my students. Students change from year to year, and so must we. Most of the students change from day to day (their attitudes and moods), so teaching requires you to flexible. If you are like a waterfall I think you also take advantage of "teachable moments" as they present themselves in your classroom.

"We are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka

Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:14 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What a great question Jenny. I would have to say that I am like a waterfall as is my classroom. I think that all of my colleagues would have to agree. I am always on the go and changing everything in my classroom (from the setup to my teaching style to the activities, etc.). My students, mostly, seem to embrace that and like it. I guess that is the world in which they have grown up in. I think flexibility and change is imperative to the classroom; however, sometimes I think if I could just slow down and let myself and my students breath (more like a pond) would that not be better. Maybe a balance is necessary./? Does a waterfall create stress?

Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would say a waterfall. While I worked at chick-fil-a I learned really fast that things are constantly changing and you can either embrace it or not. I always choose to embrace change no matter if I like it or not.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would have to agree that I too, have learned that in education we need to continue be "waterfalls." This does consist of learning new ideas, implementing new resources, testing out new strategies, and asking new questions. I think we all hope that we are the waterfalls, constantly reaching out and trying these new things.

I do believe however, that there are the areas in everyone's teaching that begin to look like the pond. I know if there is something that isn't working or begins to be unchanging in it's effectiveness, I want to move and do something about it. Other teachers however, have reached the point in their careers where they are done trying to keep up with the changes. I believe it takes a community of others who are willing to be active in their approaches to education, encourage eachother, and share ideas, to be the "waters" that reach the children.

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When I think about our cohort, I see us all as waterfalls. We are constantly searching for new paths to reach a destination that we really never reach. While not reaching the destination seems at first to be dishearting, when you ponder it, it really isn't, because, like our students, it's our journey that matters most and during that journey our destination changes.

I thought I would mention this as well...Jenny, I think you're right that it's not a good thing for us to be a stagnant pond, but are all ponds stagnant? I think at times it's important for us to be ponds as well. What I mean is this: Sometimes it is important for us to be still and listen to what's around us, as the pond is still and silent. Don't forget that ponds do move and change. The tiniest movement of a bug or stone will cause ripples. The tiniest change we make in our classroom can act as a ripple disturbing the waters. The question to ask is are those ripples to the benefit of our students or to their detriment?

Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:34 pm

I love being a waterfall in my classroom! I am constantly searching for new ideas that will benefit the students. Tara, I agree that somtimes those ripples do not benefit the students...and I've had times like those. Teachers should be flexible and reflective in order to create the best learning environment for our students.

Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel I am a waterfall. I am constantly looking for ways to challenge myself to increase my students' learning and my instruction.

I want to caution us all though. There is such a thing as a too fast moving waterfall. I have taught we people like this. They jump from bandwagon to bandwagon without good reason or logic. They jumped to the next idea and never fully developed the first. Sometimes I feel our county is like this too!

Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Oh my, Natalie, I couldn't agree more! I think we need to be a good mix of a waterfall and a pond. If we are constantly changing, then do we ever master a certain teaching method or strategy? The other side to that is if we are always a pond, then there is never anything innonvative and we don't change or differentiate our teaching to best suit our students' learning needs.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would definately say that I am a waterfall. I change things in my classroom constantly. Sometimes I think I drive my assistant crazy because I always change where my kids sit, my plans, and at times, my schedule. I think it is essential that we change and be flexible to change. We will never have two classes that are the same. They will all respond to lessons and activities differently. Their needs are all different as well. We must respond to those needs.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:14 pm

I hope that I am a waterfall. I am always willing to try new things no matter how scary they may be. I want my students to have every opportunity to be successful!

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:59 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 13 posts ]