View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Supporting different learners 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It seems evident that this semester we have learned how important it is to consider each child's background when planning all aspects of our classroom and instruction. What things do you do to support all learners and their families? What things does your school do? What tips do you have to make your classroom a environment that supports all students?

Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

-newsletters weekly (translated into Spanish)
-update class website (with a part focused on teaching the parents)
-study/celebrate a variety of cultural holidays
-have a speaker from a different ethnicity talk with the class about their history bimonthly
-multicultural texts
-a section of my class library has english/bilingual books (so my parents can read along)
-our school offers a program called CHAMPS which focuses on our lower economic students (providing them and their parents with homework help and motivation)

Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it depends on the background of your students. Overall, sensitivity to other's needs, feeling, culture, and customs is key. You have to work within your community, because the needs are so different from place to place. I feel that listening and making students and parents feel valued is the biggest part of the lesson.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that it is important to make students and their families comfortable by celebrating all cultures in your classroom. If you do this you are apt to have a more open line of communication with home as well as gaining their trust and support.

-Albert Einstein

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that helping students understand what respect is would be helpful too. I also think that working closely with parents is key too. They should be apart of the decision process concerning their child. Who knows their child better than they do?

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:49 pm

This is the first year that I have had a child that is a Jehovah's witness. I have tried to be sensitive to their beliefs. She does not participate in the pledge of allegiance, birthdays, or holidays. The pledge has probably been the hardest for me because I consider that showing respect for our country, but I have tried to be openminded about why they don't pledge to the flag. I hope that I will continue to be respectful in my class to all my students and their beliefs.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:53 pm

It is important to show and teach a sense of respect for all cultures.
In kindergarten we do a lot of sharing. I think it is probably one of the most important times of a child's educational career to teach respect and tolerance. Students must learn to work with and have respect for everyone so that we do not continue to pass down prejudice.
I let students share projects about themselves and their families to learn more about what is important to them. We do an all about Me Bag where students learn more about each other. Each student has a special day to share.

"We are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka

Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:05 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]