View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Facing future "jungles"... 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

With the conversations we have had in both of our classes concerning the Congo, I am still shocked to think that all through my education I never studied this topic. It really makes me question all the other important pieces of history my teachers did not take time to tell me throughout the years because "it was not covered in the book" or it "would be covered next year."

I feel for this information to be taught in school and for it to have been meaningful, my teachers would have needed to tell the truth (no sugar-coating.) I can't help but think about the future "jungle" stories that haven't happened in our present history. Yet, we'll be held accountable to share them with our students and we should want to tell them the truth.

Do you have any memories from your childhood when a teacher effectively taught a piece of history and it still stands out in your mind today? Have you done the same in your classroom? How have you adapted their methods?

Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The truth is something I have been thinking a lot about in relation to my instruction. Like you, Jessica, I don't remember hearing history presented in the way we have heard it this semester. I feel ill prepared to teach about important events, places, and people in history. I am going to have to research topics relevant to 4th graders in-depth so that I can improve what I present to them instead of relying on the information the textbook provides. My grade level has started doing more of that this year as integration with our reading instruction, but we need more.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:19 pm

Jessica I agree-there were many things left out of my social studies education. I just don't think that Social Studies is viewed as an "important" subject in schools especially with all the testing. I can't imagine all the things that I have never been exposed to in my education as it relates to History. We don't have a textbook for Social Studies, so I think it has forced me as a teacher to be creative and design lessons that will beneifit my students in that area. I want to challeng them and help them understand the importance of learning about other cultures and events of the past that have shaped so many aspects of our lives today.

"We are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka

Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:22 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]