View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 A Class Society 

Hi everyone!

I really enjoyed our discussions this week and have thought a great deal about how class is truly evident in our society, and how the class that you are born in has an extreme influence over the decisions and expectations you have. How do we equalize the playing field? I realize how fortunate I was to be born into a "middle class" family that also placed a high value on education, but how can we reach children who were not as fortunate? How can we get them to set higher goals for themselves and make the connection between education and achievement of goals?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:45 pm

While I know that this is not always the case, generally speaking, I believe that class goes hand in hand with money and therefore with jobs. In the video People Like Us, it only seemed like the wealthy individuals were saying their class wasn’t because of their money…

As Maslow showed, people are unable to focus above the most basic needs they are able to satisfy. From a teacher’s/administrator’s point of view, I obviously see education as a basic need, but I can hardly imagine how a parent struggling to put food on the table could view things the same way.

Too often teachers are guilty (myself included) of focusing attention on students whose parents back us up by returning our calls, showing up at meetings, helping to manage homework, and generally staying involved. Unfortunately these are typically not the students who “fall through the cracks.â€

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:48 pm

I didn't even feel like I could answer the question last week about who I identified with from the video. I didn't really see anyone "like me." At least I didn't feel they were. I came from a family where my Dad was in Vietnam after completing a 2 year Engineering degree, and my mom gave up her education (at Appalachian State Teachers' College) to go to Charleston where he was stationed. My parents, though (and I'm not sure why) always had the expectation we would all go to college, and my mom (who became a Kindergarten assistant) made our education a priority. In turn, that's the expecation my sisters and I had for ourselves. I never thought about the fact that I was the first in my family to get a Bachelor's degree...but all of us girls - me and my two sisters - did. It wasn't my parents' education, or lack of it, that most affected my success. I believe it was the priority and expectation they had for us. They wanted better for us.

I know that I was in a rare situation, though. I really do feel for children whose parents don't have the luxury to make education a priority. I've always had a soft spot for those kids who had the potential to go so far, but couldn't even fathom it in the midst of their current circumstances.
They do deserve for us to go that extra step to "reach" their homes and "invite" their parents into their education.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:53 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]