View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 "Lynching In America" 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

WOW! I can't get these images out of my head. I'm stunned to see that quite a few of those images were taken in North Carolina. I am reminded of the eugenics movement. I can clearly see where Hitler got his ideas for the Jews. I feel that our society during that time period were hypocrites. They felt what Hitler was doing was wrong yet that themselves were torturing African Americans. I was surprised to see that some police were involved in the hangings. Also the information mentioned that the African Americans were accused of those crimes, it never mentioned having evidence.

As administrators we must get all the facts before we approach and solve situations. We must see all perspectives and provide ALL students with equal educational opportunities. Discrimination is NOT an option. This includes ignoring ESL students because they will not be able to go to college.

So my question for my classmates is how can you let students and parents know that you are on their side without offending their culture and beliefs?

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That's a hard one. I think that the school "culture" has to speak of the administration, know what I mean? I would hope that from day one a good administrator would send a zero tolerance message for specific behaviors or words. Our administrator is in his second year with us. His first year, he simiply "watched" what we did and didn't make many changes. Our previous administration was very lacking. Students pretty much ruled our school and when comments or actions teachers found offensive to another were brought to him he would laugh and say, "Ah, that's just kids being kids. They didn't mean anything by it." The result? You already know the answer to that one. Anyway, our current administrator watched and saw some of the "same old same old" going on last year with only slight intervention but this year, he has made it clear to EVERYONE here, especially the students, that they are held accountable for what they say and do. We have all set our expectations high and they are going to have to rise to meet them. Will it wipe all of our issues? No, probably not but it certainly has created a more loving, caring, responsible student body. We are also doing a VERY intense study of bullying every Friday with videos and open discussion with our students. It's really been very eye-opening for many and empowering for many as well. I think that they know what we all expect from them and this all began with a strong caring administrator.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think by asking questions, being engaged and concerned about a student's growth and academic performance, and taking an active interest in students helps demonstrate to pupils and parents/guardians that administrators and teachers are on their side about education. Asking questions helps us not make assumptions and to satisfy any concerns we may have--we are allowing students and parents/guardians to tell "their side". I believe that by doing that, they will feel "listened to" instead of defensive.

This may be a simple way of looking at things, but it has always worked for me thus far :-).

Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:18 pm

It is hard for me to look at these pictures. I was unable to look at all of them because for me, this is what happend to "my people." We just need to remember that we need to teach our students that being different is great. We need to bring things into the classroom that reflects all cultures and races, not just during "black history month," "hispanic heritage month" and so on. The reality is, we are going to slip up and say things that may be offensive to others. Somtimes you dont realize it. Just be sensitive and dont blow up at a parent when they accuse you, be respectful, take it all in, and let them know you are here to educate children, but also here to make sure that you protect the hearts of your students.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As an administrator I think we have to make sure we listen. And that includes sometimes not saying anything in return. I mean think about it, how often do we really listen to our friends, family memebers, students, colleagues, and not say anything in return? It's hard for me to do that but sometimes it may not be necessary.

I keep going back to the phrase we are discussing in class of "telling your story." How can anyone tell their story if no one is willing to listen.

I agree with Misti that a good way to express understanding is to ask questions, let people respond, show concern for things outside of school with an individual, check in regularly with a person, call people by name, and make yourself available.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:13 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]