View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Legislative Update - March 25 

Hi guys!

Here's the link to this week's NC Legislative update.
I think you can subscribe while you're there.

There's a lot of relevant stuff here, including legislation on:
Eugenics
Illegal Immigrants and Community Colleges
Budget Issues

http://legislative.ncpublicschools.gov/ ... ve-update/

Hope you find it interesting!

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:37 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thanks for posting this. I read mine every week. I know I am probably a little more informed than most people due to my other half, but I wonder how many people take the time to really read these updates?

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:21 pm

I try to read NCAE's Daily Political Briefings (DPB) sent out as often as I can, and while they do contain good info, they also tend to make me wonder... For example, I was happy to see some of the vetos signed by Governor Purdue as they pertained to education and my wallet; however, my dad and I had an "enthusiastic conversation," I guess you could say, about some of the write-ups that NCAE is putting out. He swears that they're trying to use scare tactics on educators in attempts to get all of us against the Republican budget agenda. I'm still trying trying to wrap my head around what all is being done and argued about, and unfortunately with politics, every source you look at has some form of slant... It appears that this link basically provides minutes about what is happening, rather than explaining it from some specific side.

Any suggestions about where I can look to learn, so I can be more informed about my own decisions rather than pushed one way or another by other people?

Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thank you Lora for posting the link! I am now signed up to receive the updates. I know that life can get overwhelming at times but we need to try and stay on top of what is going on in education with students and staff. I know there are alot of things going on right now that we do not like including cuts but at the end of the day, at least we have a job! :)

Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:38 pm

Daniel, I agree that unbiased sources of information would be nice. I do not consider myslef very political, but it's quite obvious that most messages have clear agendas. I do know that if we truly want the best for our children, then we need to offer competitive packages to our teachers in order to reduce attrition and attract highly qualified and commited teachers. As much as I'd like to say, "I teach for the pure joy of working with children," that is not the truth. I work to make a living. If I didn't have to work, I would probably volunteer "for the pure joy of working wtih children," but it wouldn't be 50-60 hours per week!

Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

PENC (Professional Educators of North Carolina) is not political, and they are touted as an unbiased resource. They do everything NCAE does--lobbying for education professionals in Raleigh, providing liability insurance, and informing educators of proposed legislation--for 1/4 of the cost. I have been a happy member of PENC for 7 years now, and I like how they stick to the facts, stay out of the political contribution business, and stick up for members. They just do their job and let me do mine.

Who could ask for anything more? :-)

Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:42 pm

So does PENC put out a free update like NCAE's DPB?

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yes, PENC does a free biweekly message for members just like NCAE. If anyone has any more questions about PENC, just let me know. I'll be happy to answer them! :-)

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am very much like Daniel related to this topic. I have stopped reading the DPB because I feel like NCAE tries to get teachers excited over something that could not happen. I feel like they can jump to conclusions sometimes.

I have been a member of NCAE in the past, however, I am currently not a member. Due to the increasing member prices and not agreeing with the public agenda they set I no longer sign up yearly.

Something, I would like to address that centers around this topic is being informed professionally about our jobs. After all, schools are a business in one sense. i also agree with a comment made by someone that I don't feel all educators try to stay informed as much as some of us (I'm including everyone in our class here). I have been surprised this year when other colleagues have informed me of the bill that would discontine state tests that were not ferederally mandated long after it has been introduced and discussed. It makes me want to ask, "where have you been?" But then I smile to myself and think, maybe they were busy raising a family, working a second job, or helping a sick family member or friend.

Guess we have to remember everyone's not always thinking the way we are.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:42 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]