View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 How we know what we know. 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hey everyone,
As we are winding down our 1st semester in grad school (wahoo :lol: ) our last discussion in class stuck out to me. We began discussing epistemology, how we know what we know (as Dr. Turner put it). This topic lead me to a little thinking and I wanted to get everyone's take on this topic.

Knowledge and the formation of it is interesting. As an educator I naturally think knowledge comes from being a student and going to school. However, as I thought about it more, it seems the word knowledge can be interpreted differently, which leads into our discussions about how each person has a different story to tell. I now think, I think because I'm still wrapping my head around this, everyone has an individual knowledge to share and each person's "knowledge" can be different due to culture, circumstances, background, experiences, etc.

So the next question I have been asking myself is, as an adminstrator and educator am I generating different forms of knowledge, allowing different forms to be expressed/communicated with my class or school, and am I willing to accept that knowledge changes? And is there really one right type of knowledge to be exhibited and exercised in schools?

I know it's deep stuff, but waddle with me through the mud for just a little bit. :D Hope you all have a great week!

Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:32 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Meghan I definitely feel that knowledge changes. I feel that with the opportunities and experiences that we have that what we know can change. I also feel that as educators we need to be able to interpret various types of knowledge and give students the opportunity to express this in different ways (Multi-Media/hands-on). I feel that there is not one right type of knowledge. I feel that students can express what they know in different ways. For example, I was at the DMV today getting my license renewed when I had to do the sign test, of course! After I finished recognizing the signs I thought about the different ways someone could distinguish a sign-Lane drop/lane ends, railroad crossing/railroad tracks ahead. Either of the answers would be right just expressed in a different way. Do we as educators take both answers? Honestly, sometimes we don't. We are looking for 1 right way to do something when at times there are more. As administrators we definitely need to see that there are different views and ideas that are expressed and that doesn't mean that one is right or wrontg. Great questions Meghan!

Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:02 pm

Well Meghan, I believe you are doing those things...just from hearing you talk in class about getting your students to offer their opinions and discuss topics, instead of spoon-feeding them "what you want them to give you."

I think you bring up a good point. We can learn from school. We're all aware of that because we value school and formal education. But, we have to remember that a lot of what we know is based on experience - our history. That's what always excites me about the first day of school. From the time I was a student until this day, I love meeting people and learning who they are and what their reality is. I love getting to know people and seeing what they can teach me that I've not experienced. I like to try to step into someone else's shoes. I believe that a lot of teachers and educators do. That's how we grow to love "our kids."

The best administrators I've worked for/with have been those who have the time to learn from their staff and their students - not the curriculum - the personal histories.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:41 pm

I think we are all born with some knowledge. The human body is an awesome thing and we are born with many abilities and in some cases disabilities. I do believe as we grow and experience our knowledge base changes. What we know is shaped by where we live, who we know, teachers, parents, media, etc.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:23 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]