View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Convocation Speaker 

OK, Barbara was a good speaker I must admit. She had my attention the whole time and I felt like she made some good points. But I have not read the book and I feel like I cheated myself in believing what she said without reading her book. So I asked my reliable friend who HAD read the book and he said that although she talks a lot about wanting to fix working situations for the working class, all she did was complain. This woman quit every job she had, complained the entire time she was there and made all the employees feel like crap. How can I acknowledge a woman who so blatantly put down these people's LIVES to their faces? I feel like she is a farce, saying "Hi I'm Barbara and I am trying to look like I actually understand what your life is like." All she did was complain about it to them, but honestly what choice do they have? Why make them fell so bad about it?
I agree with her on certain topics. I agree that we need to acknowledge our working class and the problems they have, but talking to them about it in such a degrading way will only make them feel even more worthless than they might already feel! We are tlaking about people who cannot change things because they do not feel like they can, they do not have enough time to focus their energy on that because they have to work 3 jobs to keep a roof over theirs heads. These are NOT dumb people, they just do not have the opportunity to change things the way we do. I know that is what she is writing about, but where is the proposal of how to change it?

Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]