View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 what to ask the associate dean 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

By taking the 3100 class, I feel pretty confident on being able to meet 19 competencies in the technology portfolio. What I want to know is what I will need to do to meet the other 4. All I have heard is that you will meet them when you student teach. That's pretty vague. I would like to prepare now. I would also like more information on the telefolio.

Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:05 pm

I just found out last week when we talked about it in class that I even have to DO this portfolio. My advisor (who only advises Birth-Kindergarten, my major) has never mentioned it. I have no clue what needs to be in this portfolio, how it needs to be in there, what counts...anything! I guess I just need to know all the basics.

Barbara <><

Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:50 am

When the associate dean comes to our class, I would like to ask her some questions about student teaching. It has been brought to my attention that there is a stipulation on where middle school majors can student teach. I would like to clarify with her where those places are, and why those locations/schools. I personally would like to student teach in my home county, so as to establish a working relationship with the school system that I hope to work with. I look forward to her coming, and hope that she can clear up the confusion that we are dealing with.

Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Emily, I have talked to my advisor about locations of student teaching for us and we have to do it in specific cooperating counties which are in and around the high country. This really stinks b/c I cannot afford another apartment somewhere and I will hate to commute far every day. I personally am going to fight to stay in Watauga county so I can stay my current apartment. I cannot go home to student teach b/c Charlotte is too far away. We should def. talk about this on Thursday, but also we could bring it up at middle grades advising tomorrow (Tues) night at 4:00. I cannot wait until advising b/c I have so many unanswered questions. I feel, and I bet we all feel this way, that I am just going along with the flow and that I am getting information on a need to know basis, while it would be much more helpful if I could get a four year plan of exactly what I need to do by what date. It's so frustrating!

Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:56 pm
All-star
All-star

Going into block next semester, I would also like to know deadlines for everything. I also have some questions like what are the stipulations for student teaching? Can we have a weekend job so that we can afford rent? How does that work anyway?

Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:47 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I would like to know if our telefolio has to accessible online. I finished mine in my methods class, but we never put it on a website. How do I do this? Where do I get the website? Do I have to have permission from the RCOE? HELP!!!!

Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I need to know the same things as Ed. What about those competencies we will meet while student teaching. I need to know what I need to be keeping up with while student teaching so I can make sure I meet these competencies.

Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:13 am
All-star
All-star

Why is this a required class for special education and not anything else? I feel like everything I have gone through at Appalachian has been fairly easy as far as getting classes I need to take, and knowing what I needed to take. Is there that much of a difference for special education and everything else?

Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After talking with my group yesterday I realized that we need to ask about the Praxis 2. Everyone seemed to have a different idea of when they should take it based on things they had heard from their advisors. So, when is the best time to take it and what happens if for some reason you don't get your scores back in time?

Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:14 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yesterday my middle grades advisor said that all the technology requirements are built into my program. I don't know if that's true for elementary and secondary, though. However, I did talk to my advisors about what classes are offered over the summer. Does anyone know where to find that information? We should ask that. I think that you just have to look at past summer schedules and see what is normally offered over the summer, but I would like a more stable answer, and I need to know what classes to put off until the summer. I am tired of taking 18 hours and need to know what to put off. Does this make sense :?: It would be great if the summer schedule came out now, but I bet that's ridiculous to ask for at this point.

Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:54 pm
All-star
All-star

elementary ed majors do most of the portfolio in their block 2 (the 3750 class)-- that is what my advisor told me. i also want to know more about the praxis 2. how can we be prepared and when is the earliest/latest we should take it? also yesterday, glenn asked why student teaching doesn't count as a speaking designator and i want to know why also-- hello? you are in front of students SPEAKING and you don't get the designator??? that is crazy!

and certainly nothing else.

Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]