View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 White Privilege 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really enjoyed reading this assignment because I never looked at it this way before. I have to ask myself though, does one group have to come down in order for another to rise up? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, it's a real question that I don't know the answer to. After reading this article, specifically the list of things that white people can easily take for granted, I am more aware of this white privilege I have, but I question McIntosh's words, "the myth of meritocracy." I wonder how this is a myth. I mean, I'm white and all the doors haven't opened for me soley because of it; I have worked hard to be successful in school and to put money in my savings accounts. I work hard to save money for when I graduate, it was not all give to me because I am white. Moreover, the constitution says that everyone has a right to "the pursuit of happiness." It says "the pursuit" because everyone in this country has the right to work hard and make themselves happy, it doesn't mean that everyone automatically because they live here will be happy. This reminds me of the arguement that the "wealthy" should pay more taxes then they already do so that there is a more equal distribution of wealth. Is this fair? Is that true meritocracy?

Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:56 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think what McIntosh might be saying is that meritocracy cannot coexist with white privilage. Therefore, since white privilage exists in our society, meritocracy is simply a myth. For example, if a white person works hard to be successful, he/she may not have to work as hard as a person from a minority group, who may be equal in all other ways, for the same amount of success.

Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i enjoyed to reading also, there were aspects that i haven't thought about, were people are looked at differently with out people relizeing that they are, and i believe that there are different privilege to all races. i believe that there are white privileges, and i believe that there are situations that other races may have privileges over whites. i believe a lot has to to with class not just white privileges, but them a lot of the higher classes are white so does that mean that white privilege got them there. this is a situation that i feel can go in circles over.

Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:35 pm

looking back on our nations history, the 'whites' always have the privelage. sad, but true. it's been easier for caucasions to have the privelage because they started this country and created the society which eventually formed into today's society, not changing much. i was born into the 'upper class' and i'm a spoiled brat. everything i want tends to be given to me. because of my class i have been given opportunities that other classes tend not to receive. but i don't take them all, much to my families displeasure but to my contentment. So yeah, generally 'whites' are 'on top.' but there are also 'whites' on 'the bottom' or in 'the middle.' and various races are on top, bottom, and middle too. it's all about the so-called class.

Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]