View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 should we teach students to dropout? 
All-star
All-star

Within the last few days I have been pondering an issue that I encountered while I started my internship this last week. While I observed two teachers in my internship they came across in teaching and responding to students in their classroom that they wanted to teach these students so that they could dropout of school when they turned 16yrs. Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel as if this is wrong. I'm not saying that these students aren't learning anything, but what exactly are they learning if the teachers are only teaching the bare minimum in order to help them survive in today's society. So, I propose this question to myself and others, shoud we teach students to dropout? :? Thanks.

Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Of coursre we shouldn't teach our students to drop out! But we should encourage them to make goals for themselves and one of those goals should definitely be to graduate from high school. I think that after that if their goal is to work with thier grandfather on his farm or to go to a respected univeristy so be it as long as they set goals and work hard to achieve those goals. But we should definitely not teach anyone to just quit! I don't know if this is exactly what you were asking but I thought I would give it a try?! :lol:

Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Of coursre we shouldn't teach our students to drop out! But we should encourage them to make goals for themselves and one of those goals should definitely be to graduate from high school. I think that after that if their goal is to work with thier grandfather on his farm or to go to a respected univeristy so be it as long as they set goals and work hard to achieve those goals. But we should definitely not teach anyone to just quit! I don't know if this is exactly what you were asking but I thought I would give it a try?! :lol:

Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wow, thats amazing to hear! If we taught them to dropout, then it sounds like we're telling them they're not capable of success at all. I don't agree w/ that in any way. Our job is to educate, and with that comes encouragement to succeed and do the best that they can. Not every student will be a doctor or lawyer but they can sure be some type of contribution to our society, even if its a mechanic or plumber. We need those too! But we must help them get as far in school as we can, and making dropout and option, is not the way to do it.

Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:45 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i think this is horriable i think part of being a teacher is believe that stundents and i mean all student can learn and graduate. i believe that some students will have a harder time learning this and may be slower than other students but i believe they are capable and i believe in today socieity that a person needs a education inorder to have a decent job becasue things are so compeditive. right now, college graduates are having a hard time finding jobs. i believe it will only be harder for a drop out. i can't believe teacher were even talking about this.

Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:54 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i agree that we should encourage our students to make achievable goals for themselves. some students may not think that school is right for them, but all they really need is a little encouragement. as teachers, that's our job...to teach and encourage! some students, on the other hand, are just stubborn and have it stuck in their heads that they are better off quitting school and working in the factory or on the family farm, because that's what they'll end up doing for the rest of their life anyway. the only thing us as teachers can do is to continue to try to encourage these students and hope that they will stick it through.

Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I cannot believe that there are teachers who would say or believe such things! Students know and are very aware of whether or not their teachers think they are successful. Some children, especially the ones who are potential high school drop outs, need our encouragement the most. If a students knows that his teachers believe that he can accomplish anything he puts his mind to, then he will. Obviously we need to encourage them to make acheivable goals, but there is a big difference between being discouraging and being realistic.

Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:15 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that there is a side to the story missing here because I dont' understand??? Why in the world would you want students to drop out for??? As a teaching society we are judged by scores and statistics that make a big difference on funding and things like that. NO NO NO, we do not want to teach our kids to drop out.... I know I won't.

Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:35 pm
All-star
All-star

students overall seem more liekly to droput when teachers emphasize this more in their classrooms. Therefore, we as teacher need to realize that studnets will have this and therefore need to embrace this later on in our clasrooms.

Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:55 pm

Unfortunatly, I can believe that teachers do this. I have seen them do this. The teaching profession is in great danger. To many teachers are lazy and just want their paycheck. They got into teaching because they thought it would be the easiest way to make money. Then they realize it is not easy, and they start being slack. I have had teachers who encourage "bad students" to drop out or go to an alternative school. These are probably the same people who complain about the crime rate, and why people can't think on their own. For a teacher to do something like this is a descrace to our profession and intellegence. If I heard a teacher doing something like that, now that I am out of grade school, I would have to tell them what I think, and I would have to hold back unpleasant words. No we should not teach children to drop out. :twisted:

Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:44 am

I don't think that we as teachers need to be encouraging students to drop out or to quit anything. I do think that teachers, especially in the plder grades would benefit if they tried to do activities in various ways as often as possible. I understand that this can be hard, but from experience when students want to drop out it's because they feel dumb (usually because they didn't understand something early on in class), or because they feel like they are an outsider or that they can learnn more from working full time. We need to understand the feelings of students who aren't having the time of their lives and try to help things get better.Quiting is not the answer to anything, yet I find that more and more people are quiting jobs or dropping classes just because they feel like it and that is not part of being a good role model nor practicing good behaviors for the future. Besides all of that it is almost immpossible to get a good paying job without a high school diplomia and college degree, these certifications are held in such high regard because it shows determination and the ability to stick with things, a very important quality.

Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:36 pm
All-star
All-star

Students really do listen to what teachers and parents say. We as teachers are role models for these kids, especially when the kids have a troubled home life and a high percentage of the time those are the kids that drop out. We really need to understand the power we have as an influence in our future students lives. And use that power for the better good, and not to tell them to drop out.

Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]