View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Assoc. Dean--Was it effective?? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My goal isn't to come off as a complainer, but i'm just so full of confusion. When she came to our classroom, I don't know how satisfied i felt by the end that changes would be made. I personally didn't even tell her how dissatisfied I am w/ the education program in general. Yes she says there's still kinks to be fixed, but these "kinks" are HUGE! How can they not be right when so many students are depending on them for their careers? For example, why have they made the el. ed. program a 4 1/2 yr program, only adding more pointless classes that no one learns in? I know this, because i've talked to SEVERAL other students and they feel the same way. Many are highly considering transferring to Charlotte, who really has a stable and very good teaching program...that i thought App had... I feel like she only took specific things seriously, when all of our issues are important and need clarity and/or revision. Who knows!

Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:40 am
Site Admin

I think your point is a good one. The problem, or one of them, is that as we make changes for the better some of them will be too late for you. But that is where I think your input is critical. Are you elem. ed.?

Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yes, i'm elementary ed, and i understand they're changing things for the good of the incoming students, but you'd think they keep the current students in consideration. I even had recent difficulties scheduling b/c my advisor never gave me my code to register! I was in class to take a test during the time i was supposed to register, so i wanted my roomate to do it for me. Well the dept. wouldn't let her, so i couldn't register till 1230!! Its my education, and if i want my roomate to have my "personal information" to help me out to get my classes, i just don't understand why they can't do that?? I've never been soo frustrated to the point of tears before. Its rediculous. They need to loosen up, and think of whats best for us, not most time consuming and aggrevating...

Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe you should have go to a university for two years and take all core classes. That is a universal education. The next two years should be spent in an internship in whatever field you pursue. That is the real world and where you can gain knowledge, sort of a guild system. Graduate studies should be where you take a more specialized curriculum for teaching at the college level. Methods classes in education are a waste of time if you aren't able to apply them. The fact that classes are added does not make the outcome better. What people need is practical experience. This is the major factor causing failure for many first year teachers. Instead of jumping through hoops, universities should allow students to get their feet dirty. Its just an opinion.

Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Ahhh, but what a good opinion it is!! Lets get REAL practice!! hands on w/ children. In the beginning, we don't even necessarily need to be w/ kids, but work on lessons with each other. Practicing as if our class were a bunch of 3rd graders. This is what we do in my drama, and it is the most useful class so far. Its so important to spend our time learning how certain age groups learn the best, what types of activites to do for their abilities...get this DEEP into our brains, b/c without this how can we even plan lessons or know how to discipline?? i'd rather do these useful things that will totally be put to use when i'm in the classroom, then sit around listening to a lecture or talk a/b random things. Lets get moving!!

Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:56 am
All-star
All-star

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You've all just said what I've been preaching about FOREVER! We need more experience. At least elementary ed majors get their internship before they begin student teaching. Secondary majors (like me) don't really get any practical experience in the classroom until we're in student teaching (WAY too late to decide "oops, I don't like this")! Ed's idea is a great one. I personally feel that you learn best by experiencing things firsthand. Maybe during our methods courses, we could learn about teaching methods and then (lightbulb!) go out into a real classroom and try them. Why doesn't this make sense to anyone but us?

Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I have to agree that experience with students is good especially if you are elementary education. But, secondary folks need a little bit more than an internship or student teaching too to get the full effects. You may know your content well, but how well do you know students is they key to being a good teacher. For secondary students, it is hard since we only get one maybe two methods classes that tells howthe real classroom should be not how it is. I found this out through my internship these last five weeks. It wasn't an eye-opening experience since I have already taught before, but it maybe for some individuals. So, I have to agree as well that more hands on activity with students would be great (especially since ASU is notorious for being a teaching school, that is what it was founded on to begin with).

Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]