View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 What About the Boys? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really enjoyed this article because I have never thought about this topic until this semester. I always think about girls . . . because I am a girl! However, I never realized that our definition of masculinity was harmful to our society. Boys are under just as much stress to be masculine as I am to uphold that impossible standard of beauty.

I do see lately that some boys (who are in some cases mocked for it) are emracing their more feminine side, if that's how you would put it. For instance, boys are wearing girls jeans now to put emphasis on their behinds. Moreover, this new fad of "emo" music seems to me to be feminine in the sense that it is very emotional and personal music. Boys are no longer just supposed to listen to heavy metal and "masculine" music. So, I think that this definition of masculinity is changing. Slowly.

Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:07 pm

I think you are completely right. It is changing slowly. These 'emo' kids wearing the girls jeans face a ton of slander from people not so open to the ideas of males wearing girls jeans. Most people do tend to think about the feamle aspect of this issue, but it is time we start looking at the other end of the spectrum.

Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]