View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 "Taking the Power Back" 
All-star
All-star

We have, in class, discussed the issues of taking a minority taking a derogatory term and using it within their own group. I think it is very apparent that this does happen whether among Blacks, Gays, or who have you.

I knew a few gays guys in high school and I was not estranged from them as so much of the high school population is. One friend in particular, who I had known since early elementary school, used the terms “fagâ€

Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that if the word MUST be used it should only be done so by people who make up that population. However, I really don't agree with the usage of words that have such strong, often negative roots. I don't want to hear a homosexual use the words gay or fag and I don't want to hear an African American say the "N" word. I think that the usage of these words confuse people who are not gay or black. When people hear these words used by gays or blacks they think it's ok to use them too. Gayle's example of telling the black guys not to use the word around whites and "taking the power back" is a good one but I don't see it changing things for the better in the long run. Especially if the black rappers on MTV and BET continue to call their friends "niggas". Plenty of people watch these channels that are a race other than black and add this word to their vocabulary. I have called my friends "niggas" before but I realized how stupid I sounded saying it and quickly stopped. I think that as teachers we need to try and phase these words out of our students’ vocabularies by explaining that these are not words that are appropriate to use in everyday language.

Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:30 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I see your point, I just feel that they are using words they didn't create in order to undermine power the majority has to use the word to hurt. I do agree it is not a long term solution; I hope one day we live in a society where larger groups do not oppress smaller groups on any level and then these power relationships will not even be an issue.

Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:36 am
All-star
All-star

I totally agree with the entire conversation. I also think that there is nothing to change this either. I can even think of things I say that could be extremely out of place if I were in front of a different audience that might be offended. I say things are gay all the time without even thinking about it. But it takes a class like this one to bring things like that to our attention and notice that type of behavior.

Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

[size=12]I believe that sometimes waht people say just gets taken out of context. i believe that your gay friend did not do anything wrong, i also believe that it shows you that he is confident in him self. the only thing is if they say that amoung themselves and others hear, others might think it's ok to say that back and this is were problems start.

Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]