View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Too Much Technology?? 
All-star
All-star

This really has nothing to do with this class, but it's something I have been thinking about. I feel like there is a whole lot of emphasis being placed on technology, and technology in our classrooms. Are we going to be able to teach without technology? All it seems the education department wants us to do is use technology and more technology. What happens in our classrooms when the technology does not work? Then what do we teach? What do we teach if we get a job at a school that cannot afford technology in every classroom. Or what is we are a teacher on the Outer Banks when a hurricane come through and we have to resume teaching without technology for while. I feel like too much emphasis is being placed on technology, we need to be able to use it, but we also need to focus on teaching without it. As we see in many classes, technology is not reliable. It works some days and not others. If any of you have any opinions about this, I'd like to know what you are thinking. This has really been frustrating me!

Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:23 pm
All-star
All-star

I can understand why they want us to learn so much about technology. As new generations come along (our students) they will be more and more prepared to use and need technology in both their daily lives and for learning purposes. I think that the reason they emphasize it so much to us is to make sure that we do not fall behind, and thus stunt the learning growth of our students. I dont think they want us to rely on technology for absolutely everything, but rather give us a new way of presenting information. I believe that the world is just changing and this is the school boards way of trying to change with it and push it along. As much as I hate to say it, technology is wonderful and makes our lives better and easier every day. I only hope that I can keep up with the rapid changes being born every minute.

Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:13 am
Profile YIM

I will have to admit that I share some of your feelings. The College of Ed. seems bent on making every teacher a technological guru. Yes, I would agree that the advances in technology will be a great assett to use in the classroom, and that some teachers could almost solely run a high technological class and get away with it. But, I feel that the reason anyone goes into teaching is because they have a natural knack for it, and I guess you can call me old fashioned, but a good story and a classroom discussion, in which your students are actively participating, discussing ideas on a subject, sure beats a classroom connected chat with a paleontologist of the Smithsonian, in which every student is locked into their respective monitor like a bunch of robots. I'm not saying that this kind of activity has no place in the classroom, but it sure seems like the CED, thinks its the only way, as well as the best way to teach 21st century digital kids. As a future teacher I will have to strongly disagree. I feel like I teach best through stories and personal contact with students. I like the idea of using technology (ie. websites, movies, online-forums, etc.) to supplement classroom discussion. However, in no way do I think that these technological activities should take the place of the majority of classroom time

Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:16 am
All-star
All-star

Technology is a wonderful resource when it is there to be used, and I think that the reason the education department is putting so much focus on it is becuase they want us to be able to use it to its full potential when it is available. I have a several classes this semester that have required a lot of things to be done online overtime. Those types of things are very useful because the technology is usually avaialbe at one time or another. It is just a very helpful resource they want us to understand and use because so many of us do not understand it. I think it will be a big part of the future and not just part of the teaching and education future. :D

Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Technology has definitely been made into a "must have" in our society. I think teaching is more effective without it. Playing games, good 'ole paper and a pencil, books....its a shame it HAS turned into something we're dependent on. I totally think its possible to teach without, but i don't know if its REQUIRED that we do use it. Good topic :wink:

Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:10 am
All-star
All-star

While I recognize that this is probably a DREAM that will never come true, I think that it's only fair. If the state is going to require us to complete technology standards in order to receive our license, I think they should supplement property taxes in areas that do not receive sufficient funding and make SURE that all areas have the kind of technology we're being taught to use. Call me crazy, but how will it help our students if we know how to use these gadgets but don't have them to teach students with?

Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]