View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 homosexuality 
All-star
All-star

Honestly guys, after our discussion today how do you feel about having an openly gay student or even a nervous and not openly gay student in your classroom? It is something that I think we must all be prepared for so we might as well start to plan for it now. Is it going to be a problem? Are you even going to acknowledge the students preference? I guess I'm not looking for answers here, rather a question to throw at you so that you can think about it on your own if you would like. I personally know how I would handle the situation, but what about you? :shock:

Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:19 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Every situtaion requires a response, take for example if there were an openly gay student in my classroom I would and could not treat him any differently. It's a very hard question to answer becuase there can be so many things that you could do. Is the student being ridiculed, if so then I would probably take care of that, but you honestly can't treat any child any different or show favor over anything. I guess what I'm trying to say is you can't really know until it happens exactly what you would do. So, I honestly just don't know. :oops:

Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:22 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that in a situation where an openly-gay student is being teased and/or abused, we HAVE to do something! Even if you don't agree with someone's personal beliefs, we have a responsibility to our students and to ourselves to teach them that mistreating someone else is wrong and will not be tolerated within our classroom setting (or in life).

Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]