View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 transsexual beginnings... 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know we've discussed the possibility of gender being something a person conforms to from growing up, or their gender already being "who they are" at birth. Tonye talked a/b knowing he was male since he was a little kid, but i don't think thats possible if all the parts were female. Maybe he took being a tomboy to the extreme, and therefore thought he was a boy. Nancy on the otherhand changed during adolescence after deciding she liked being a girl better. I think its something that you conform to, or decide after birth, rather than making it like God messed up by giving Tonye girl parts when REALLY she's a boy. haha, God doesn't make mistakes... And for those who were more satisfied as being part girl AND boy..there just confused. I find it sad that they can't be what they're born to be, as they were INTENDED to be. It makes me sad for them all.

Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:29 pm

I agree with you. It makes me sad for those people. I also wanted to address the whole talk about a little girl or boy knowing whether they like their own gender or the opposite gender. In my opinion, if you were to talk to a five or six year old girl about a boy, she would more than likely say that he has coodies, but that does not make her a lesbian. I think that people are looking into this whole thing way too much. I thought that the video was really sad. I cannot imagine saying that God made a mistake. GOD DOES NOT MAKE MISTAKES, and that video just wants to make me cry for them.

Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i believe that this is a sad situation for these people, i also believe that God doesn't make mess up but i believe through some studies that i have read there can be a chemical inbalance that can make you be more femanin or more manly. I believe that there are cases were it is up to the person and they choose there life style but i do believe there are times that it is something inside them that gives them erges to be a gender that they are not.

Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

to tell you the truth, i don't know where i stand on this issue. it's a topic i don't sit around and contemplate during my free time, but when it has been brought up, i stay quiet and listen to what everyone else has to say hoping that someone will say something that makes me decide whether i agree with it or whether i believe that some people feel that they are not ever going to be happy playing the role of the gender they were born as. we can bring religion into this as much as we want to, but i don't believe that it will solve anything. society is what decides what men and women can and can't do or be. a man decides he likes wearing dresses and he's known as a crossdresser. a woman wears pants (which is accepted today more than it would have been a 80 or 90 years ago) and she's a woman who decides to wear pants. what or who decided what each gender has to wear? what or who decided that men had to keep their hair short or that long hair is not always acceptable for men while women can wear their hair as many ways as they want to without too many arguements, though we do deal with the stereotypical "butch" hair cut arguement. i can argue about this for a while, but in the end i'm still asking myself whether i believe that transgender is ever going to be accepted by society, or if i will ever accept it myself.

Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't agree with the above statements. Some societies accept that there are more than two genders, and I do not see why we cannot. We also cannot say that these people are merely confused; we cannot say this because there is no way we can start to understand what they are going through. We have no idea what it is like to feel this way. People are born with female and male parts and our society says this is wrong. To go along with your arguements, God would have done this on purpose.

I think religion should be kept out of this, however. Our society forces people to be either male or female, and we do not accept anything but. Gender is clearly a socially constructed concept. Our media literacy unit showed us that our society believes men should be strong, unemotional, and macho, while women should be slight, quiet, and girly. These are gender roles that society has created. In some cultures, and I would have to do more research on this but remember it from intro. to soc, women take the more dominant roles in society rather than men. This only proves that gender is socially constructed.

Why should transexuals have to conform to our standards? In the above posts people have said that they want to cry for transexuals, but this seems hypocritical after saying that they are "confused" and that they have done this to themselves. To me, the above posts seem very unsensitive. Why should you be sad for them? This is who they are. It is that very approach, that something is wrong with these people, which fuels hate and discrimination. We, as a society, are so judgemental. And you know what? I don't understand how God cannot make mistakes. Maybe it's God. Maybe it's science. Either way it is natural and we should accept these people. Everyone has the right to strive to be happy, and whatever makes you happy you should do it, whether it's getting a sex-change operation or living your life as niether male nor female, but a little of both.

Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:58 pm
All-star
All-star

All I can say is that there are a lot of people out there that give transgenders a bad name that take things to the extreme and what not, but the only thing we need to be concerned about is that we don't treat them different just because they are a transgender or gay or anything. I can't understand why some people do the things they do but if they are my student then I will teach them the way I think I am suppposed to teach them in the same manner that I teach all my other students, so I guess thats all that matters to me.

Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completly agree that gender is a social construct. Like Suzanne mentioned and we discussed in class, it is society that decides how "boys and girls should act" which is absurd because we are all individuals with individual likes and dislikes. Since so many of the gender roles have changed, perhaps society will eventually be at a place where transgenders are socially accepted. I do not understand how we can live in a country that prides itself in freedom and equality for all people, yet it decides which people are fit to be granted these privileges. I do not agree with people have operations to change their sex, but I do believe that people are free to make their own choices. Even though we do not agree with what they do, we still have to respect them as human beings. No one should ever be degraded or treated unequal simply because he/she is different.

Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]