View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 New NC Policy!! 
All-star
All-star

Just this past week, NC Public school teachers got a memo teling them that they are no longer allowed to have parents bring in food that they have made at home. Nor, is the teacher allowed to make stuff and bring it in. Everything that is eaten in the classroom must be bought from the grocery store and precooked and packaged. This makes me sad, because I was really looking forward to making things to take into my classroom. Doesn't look like I will be making anything now. This policy is state wide. Just thought you all might be interested.

Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:25 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That makes me sad! I can remember making stuff to take to school for parties when I was in elementary school and really enjoying it. Sunday my mom and I decided to make homemade sugar cookies and we were joking about how she would have to make stuff for my class parties since I'm not exactly the best cook in the world. But now I guess that's out of the question. I wonder what prompted this decision???

Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:37 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I am not positive about this, but I think that this all came about because last year a child got hepatitis from something the child had eaten at a party at school. Don't quote me on that though. I looked today to see if I could find any info. on the net about this, but I couldn't.

Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am sadden by this also because sharing foods is a great way to bond with students and for students to bond with each other in the classroom. It can definitely be a great learning experience inside (learning about new foods) and outside the classroom (learning how to make foods). I think that this new policy is only looking out for the well being of the students and teachers. It's sad to say but someone deliberately poisoning food to bring into the classroom is a reality and something that schools have to watch out for. I found this article on the web about a farmer in China poisoning the food that went to the school. It's terrible! Three children died!
http://www1.chinadaily.com.cn/en/doc/20 ... 281373.htm

Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:27 am
All-star
All-star

I really hate that things have come to this! In 6th grade, we each had to choose a European or Asian country to study about and present to the class. My partner and I had Yugoslavia. Because of all the fighting, etc., that was going on at the time, we dressed up in military suits, combat boots, etc., for our presentation. We also had to at least bring in a recipe and picture of an indigenous food from that country, but our teacher recommended that we actually prepare the food. It was great. I'd never had Yugoslavian lamb meatballs before. They weren't exactly tasty, but it was an experience I'll never forget. We had Swiss chocolate and all kinds of stuff! How sad that we can't do that now!

Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:35 pm

I will be bringing food into my classroom! I'm a spanish teacher...part of the culture is FOOD! But, shhhh, don't tell anyone ;-) It would be ridiculous to get fired for teaching your students about spanish culture in food...

Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:42 am
Site Admin

Okay. So if this is really the policy, I think I would look into getting an old stove and having it installed in my room. Then I would buy ingredients at the grocery store, and cook in the room!

Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that this is crazy, nc polices taken a little to far sometimes, i mean i know you need ot cover yourselves so you know you wont be introught, but bringing cup cakes for your kids birthday should be fine. I mean look at our exam day, it just wondn't be as fun with out the home made food that is coming!!!!

Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:19 pm
All-star
All-star

Wouldn't there be a lot of problems with getting that stove though... i mean as far as "fire codes" and what not go. I mean i know that home ec classes have them in their classrooms but aren't they specifically made for that? How hard would it be to just bring in the materials you would need to cook it in the classroom, like a hot plate, or griddle, or things like that? Does anyone know about things like that?

Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:57 am

Why do things keep changing like this? I would love to find the irritated parent and give them a piece of my mind! Although this is a N.C. ploicy, if the students are the ones making the food and it could connect with a measuring unit would that work? Hands on is always better anyway!

Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:45 pm
All-star
All-star

I as a science teacher can see this in the subject matter I am teaching, but as for other subjects it is indeed necessary. I don't know why NC is putting so strict laws into effect. Are they trying to push incoming teachers away from NC? I know that when I become a teacher that if the lesson allows for a "party" and the parents allow it, then by george we will have parties. I mean maybe you can get around the law like we all do in some way or another everyday of our lives. Maybe throuhg premade items. So, what about College and other schools? Does this mean that we can't have our Hope day celebration since Appalachian is a State owned college? What are they thinking?
PS. I know that it seems like I am rambling, but truly this law must have more than meets the eye than just NO food allowed in schools in NC. Please let us find out more on this topic.

Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]