View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Everyone should teach in their own style 

In one of my other classes we got into a discussion about how to teach. This would seem like a care-free and informative discussion but what transpired annoyed me more than I care to explain. It was the opinion of my professor that we as future student-teachers need to be taught how to teach and should copy one of the basic molds of teaching. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, especially from a person with a doctorate in education. What a joke. We should copy someone's teaching style-no way. We are all individuals and we all have strengths and weaknesses, as well as certain ways of doing things. As teachers, just as in life, we will do our best if we are honest with ourselves and teach in a style that fits us and makes us comfortable. I'm not arguing that taking bits and pieces of other teaching styles and working them into your own way is bad, but completely forgoing your own identity, and trying to replicate another teacher's classroom seems like a recipe for disaster.

Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:43 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with the way you are feeling. We do need to find our own way of teaching, and find what benefits us and our students best. Something else that I have been told by a professor in the past few weeks that really bothered me, was that as a teacher we should not give our students specific guidelines and tell them exactly what we want, because then they will do just what we want and will not use their own creativity to do anything else. This bothers me, because I feel like as a teacher you should always let your students know what you are expecting of them. That's only fair to the students. Especially when it comes time to grade something, and the student has done exactly what they thought you wanted, but it is not at all what you wanted, so you give them a bad grade. That is not fair to the student if they did not know in the beginning what you wanted from them. This really frustrates me!

Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:57 pm
All-star
All-star

In response to the professor who said that we shouldn't give our students guidelines, HAVE YOU EVER COMPLETED AN ASSIGNMENT WITHOUT SOME IDEA OF WHAT YOU'RE DOING? It's insane, and I HATE it! I don't think that we should give students a blow-by-blow of what exactly we're wanting, but a copy of the grading rubric we'll be using to grade their assignment is always helpful, and in certain situations, it might be helpful to show them copies of other students' work from the past (if applicable). I don't think this limits students any more than we already do by giving them a specific assignment. If we don't want to give them guidelines, let's just let them teach themselves!!!

Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that students need guidelines. If we didn't give them guidelines some of them would never get anything done! As far as showing them examples of past students work, I think that is ok and can be helpful as well. You have to be careful when doing this though because once you show an example students make it their goal to make the example. Examples this way are good, but make sure you show a variety. One thing that my professors have stressed to me in art education is to try not to show an example made by you. Students tend to try and replicate what you have done because they think that is what you want. One of my goals for when I teach in the art classroom I can give lots of room for creativity :D

Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

a grade rubric is a wonderful tool to use when giving students assignments, along with a variety of examples. i agree that giving students an assignment and then not discuss the assignment anymore is like helping students commit suicide. just HAND them the noose, why don't ya?! setting up due dates for bits and pieces of the final assignment is also a good way of keeping tabs on where each student is in their process and giving the teacher the chance to give both positive and negative feed back on the student's work. this checking up will help the students get a better idea of what you are expecting out of them with the assignment. also, if you feel that it is necessary, give the students a list of expectations you hold for the assignment. this will put your ideas of the project in black and white for the students to look back on as they are completing the assignment. these expections can be used as guidelines that do not hender the students' own creativity.

Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:58 pm

Someone mentioned we should have more than one due date for final projects and i wholeheartedly agree with that. Some students just don't have the study skills or motivation to complete an entire, let's say, portfolio at one time. If we spread out due dates, it gives us more time to grade the projects and them less stress...I mean, our class is not the only class they might have something due in.

Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]