View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Religion 
All-star
All-star

As a social studies teacher, in teaching world history, the subject of religions comes up quite often. I'm working on some notes right now about several major world religions (Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, etc.). I feel like we, as teachers, need to know more about the different religions that may be practiced by our students. I know about Christmas, Easter, etc., as a member of the Protestant faith, but what about Yom Kippur and Hanukkah? Until I did these notes on religion, I more or less thought that Yom Kippur was a cool word on the calendar.

Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:06 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it is great to teach about all religions whenever possible in class. I am definitely ignorant to the customs and pratices of many religions that may be represented in my class. I don't however think we should ignore the true reasons for the national holidays that we celebrate in schools.

Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:13 pm
All-star
All-star

i admire you rachel for doing your homework about religion and i feel you will have a richer classroom because of it. it's so hard though because when you start to touch on "all" the world religions, we will always be leaving someone out since there are so many different faiths and backgrounds... how can we as teachers really include everyone in these types of lessons? (i really think this is why it's important to KNOW all of your students, their families, and their backgrounds)...

and certainly nothing else.

Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]