View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Student Teaching 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I will be student teaching this spring and I sometimes wonder whether I will be assertive enough with my students. I want to gain respect and I feel that it might be difficult for me to do that as a student teacher. Any tips?

Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it all depends on your particular style as a person. Are you high school, middle school, or elementary? I'm a substitute teacher in high school, as well as a coach, and for me, I find that treating the students like they're people, too, is really helpful. In a lot of situations, I can give them advice, etc., that their parents would give them, but they take it a lot better from me because I'm closer to their age.

I also joke around with them a lot. I'm very sarcastic (by nature, I suppose), but they respond well to that (once they realize that I do that a lot). For some of my girls (whose lightbulbs maybe aren't quite as bright), this takes a while. Sometimes they still look at me after I've said something STUPID like "are you serious?" But for me and the kids that I work with, this is the best method.

Like I said before, it all depends on your personality. If you can't do that, try new things until you find something that works for you. But MOST IMPORTANTLY, you have to make sure they know you're in control. Joke around, have fun with them, but at the end of the day, you're still their teacher, not their friend, necessarily.

Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:07 pm
All-star
All-star

It does depend on how you come across to the students how they perceive you. If they perceive that your are fun and full of energy than they truly will be intuned with what you are telling them about the subject. I know this from experience that I have gained before becoming certified and through my internship. We all must remember that we are humans and not too much older than the students that we will be teaching. So depending upon the school you can say and act in everyday fashion to your hearts content. Enjoy life with your whole heart just like your students!

Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:32 pm
All-star
All-star

This is something I am scared of. Like we have said, we do not get enough interaction with the schools and students before we student teach. What should I expect, what am I going to do that first day, everything is very scary at this point.

Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:33 pm
All-star
All-star

My cooperating teacher has suggested something to make me feel a little more comfortable about being in the classroom. He wants me to come for a couple of days before this semester is over, to get more comfortable with his classroom and also to see how things work at the end of school (something we'll miss, thanks to graduation). If you're close to where you'll be student teaching, you might want to try this. I'm sure your cooperating teacher won't mind, but check with them anyway, just in case. Maybe set up a day or two to go in and check everything out. Get the students used to seeing you around so they don't think "Ah, fresh meat!" Hope this helps!

Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have learned through my practicum this semester that students like to test you. You must let them know from the very beginning what your expectations are and allow them to see how much you love your subject and teaching. If students can sense that you really enjoy what you are doing, they begin to enjoy the class more also. There seems to be less problems to deal with and more learning occuring.

Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I completely agree. This is something that I learned when I first started coaching. I was a little college freshman coaching 7/8 graders. I didn't want to be too mean, so I just kinda let everything go until they were driving me CRAZY! It's so much easier to be tough in the beginning, and then, if you can, you lighten up.

Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:33 am
All-star
All-star

Oh, and another thing. Don't worry about them hating you if you're strict. They'll hate you if you're a b*@!#, but, believe it or not, kids seem to like discipline! Who would've guessed? They like knowing what they can and can't do. They'll still try to push the barriers, but just stand firm. Show them their place, and they'll let you keep yours.

Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]